Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Pols blame "climate change" for the catastrophic floods across Western Europe. DO YOU TOO?

Pols blame "climate change" for the catastrophic floods across Western Europe. DO YOU TOO?

Posted - July 17, 2021

Responses

Climate changes all the time, but generally at a snail's pace.  The issue is how much man has contributed to hastening the changes we see now.  
      July 17, 2021 12:39 PM MDT

Climate changes over billions of years were enormous. What worse did homo saps contribute? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 18, 2021 7:07 AM MDT

"On Earth, human activities are changing the natural greenhouse. Over the last century the burning of fossil fuels like coal and oil has increased the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2). This happens because the coal or oil burning process combines carbon with oxygen in the air to make CO2. To a lesser extent, the clearing of land for agriculture, industry, and other human activities has increased concentrations of greenhouse gases.

The consequences of changing the natural atmospheric greenhouse are difficult to predict, but some effects seem likely:

• On average, Earth will become warmer. Some regions may welcome warmer temperatures, but others may not.
    • Warmer conditions will probably lead to more evaporation and precipitation overall, but individual regions will vary, some becoming wetter and others dryer."
    You can read the entire article here:
    https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/
      July 18, 2021 9:50 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L and Happy Monday! :)
      July 19, 2021 2:23 AM MDT

Climate change, yes, additionally the magnetic field is also changing. 
      July 17, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

Uh-oh. That's doesn't sound good. Now please don't mock/ridicule me for my ignorance. WHAT MAGNETIC FIELD? What is its purpose? Does it have anything to do with GRAVITY? Thank you for your reply BB and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      July 18, 2021 7:05 AM MDT

The Earth's magnetic field maintains the Van Allen belt which is our planet's defence against solar and cosmic radiation. Every few million years, it reverses - and while reversing, that shield becomes thinner. We don't fully know what will happen, but it will almost certainly affect satellite communications and possibly cause an increase in certain types of cancer.
      July 18, 2021 8:37 PM MDT

Thank you for your informative and helpful reply R. I appreciate it. It also is kinda scary isn't it? Do we have any clue when it will reverse again? I asked a question about that belt because of a movie I saw that was based on it sort of but I guess I didn't understand how crucial to our survival the Van Allen belt is. Is the "reversal" slow or does it happen quickly? We surely don't need more sources of cancer and what happens if all satellite communications failed? Is cyberspace connected to it in any way or based on it? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you and yours! :)
      July 19, 2021 2:17 AM MDT

Single instances scattered over a decade or so might not be from overall climate change, but when extreme events occur more frequently and in many parts of the world over some years then we should worry.
      July 17, 2021 5:24 PM MDT

Are we already around the bend Durdle? The chatter/talky talky talky is more insistent now but talk gets us nowhere. Is DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT a fantasy we will never be able to realize? It may not be as I perceive it to be. Everything everywhere is getting worse. Name one place where things are GETTING BETTER? Well you probably can but I can't. No matter what metric you use where is better? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to you and yours. I shall ask. :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 18, 2021 3:06 AM MDT
      July 18, 2021 3:03 AM MDT

Oh there is plenty of doing going on, even if some of the doing consists of intentions not to do certain things in a certain number of years hence.

Nevertheless there is plenty more talk too, and I am not convinced that many of them paid to talk about it actually understand what it is they are talking about. (Hmm, a bit Rumsfeldian, that collection of clauses!)

As for where things are better... I'm afraid I have no idea!

July 18, 2021 4:49 PM MDT

Truer words were never spoken about "experts" or those who present themselves as such have any real understanding of what the heck they are PAID to talk about. I mean anyone can memorize a script. How do we know who among them is the real deal and who among them is more fake? SIGH. Thank you for your reply. I wonder how many people who spout off gibberish actually believe they know what they are talking about? Probably better we don't know. It could get quite depressing. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :)
      July 19, 2021 2:21 AM MDT

No.
      July 18, 2021 7:04 PM MDT