Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » 13.8 BILLION years ago THE BIG BANG happened allegedly. Earth is about 4.5 BILLION years old allegedly. How many Earth Ages/stages so far?

13.8 BILLION years ago THE BIG BANG happened allegedly. Earth is about 4.5 BILLION years old allegedly. How many Earth Ages/stages so far?

Posted - July 18, 2021

Responses

"There have been at least five major ice ages in the Earth's history (the Huronian, Cryogenian, Andean-Saharan, late Paleozoic, and the latest Quaternary Ice Age). Outside these ages, the Earth seems to have been ice free even in high latitudes; such periods are known as greenhouse periods."

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+ages+has+earth+had&rlz=1C1GYPO_enUS928US928&oq=how+many+ages+has+earth+had&aqs=chrome.0.0j0i22i30i457j0i22i30l8.23005j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
      July 18, 2021 1:09 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply and the links you provided L. I appreciate all of it! :)
      July 19, 2021 4:35 AM MDT

Geologists divide the Earth's history even further into Epochs, Eras and Stages, if I have remembered the order correctly.

The entire span of known life is called the Phanerozoic... and it's fraction of the total age because it took a while for the planet to cool and calm down enough for things biochemical to start happening, almost certainly while the atmosphere was still anoxic (no free oxygen it it).

Us lot were really late to the ball. Our genus (hominidae) has been traced to no more than about 4 million years old, our own species (H. Sapiensis, which one might think a debatable adjective) less than 1 million. Difficult to know because terrestrial animals are not very good at becoming fossils. They tend to be eaten where they fall, and we don't know when and where humans started funerary burials.

Those times are nothing much in geological scales....
      July 18, 2021 3:11 PM MDT

I have addressed that in prior questions. Sapient? "HAVING OR SHOWING GREAT WISDOM OR SOUND JUDGMENT"

What a crock! Those who are such are very few and very far from the norm. And yet we still refer to ourselves as what we KNOW we are not. That is the original BIG LIE.  It's a lot to keep up with...our existence. Almost all, if not all of it, is very difficult to believe. I speak for me personally. No one else. This happened then this and this and this and this. WHY? Can anyone answer that? WHY are we here? What is our purpose? I know. Asked and answered multiple times in multiple ways. And yet the WHY hangs heavy overhead. Thank you for your informative reply. Do you know WHY? This post was edited by RosieG at July 19, 2021 3:38 AM MDT
      July 19, 2021 3:37 AM MDT

I don't think anyone can even try to fathom WHY we (or anything else natural) exist.
      July 21, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

A purpose is not required. We are here because we can be here. Nature makes everything possible that can be possible.
      July 21, 2021 6:25 PM MDT