Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some Olympians flew to Tokyo for the games and tested positive for COVID. No competing for them. No spectators either. TV coverage. Enough?

Some Olympians flew to Tokyo for the games and tested positive for COVID. No competing for them. No spectators either. TV coverage. Enough?

Posted - July 20, 2021

Responses

I stopped watching the Olympics years ago.  Allowing professional athletes to compete is against what I think the Olympics should be about.  Considering how mired in Covid Japan is, the Olympics should have been cancelled.  I know the athletes wait 4 years and work very hard to get there, but if they get sick and/or die as a result, is it really worth it?
      July 20, 2021 8:38 AM MDT

I would watch SIMONE BILES on my deathbed L. She is the most extraodinary athelete I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them. Thank you for your reply. I think the games should have been delayed. But what with we are going through there will never be a SAFE time.What happens there I don't know but I feel so sorry for the athletes who bust their A**e for years to gain a place on the team. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 20, 2021 12:10 PM MDT

I do feel sorry for the athletes.  I also feel sorry for Japan.  They couldn't possibly have known all those years ago when they were chosen that there would be a pandemic.  Every city that hosts Olympics loses money.  It costs billions of dollars to host them and they rarely recoup their money - even in good times.  I think New York City once was in the running and I recall being glad that we didn't get it.
      July 20, 2021 12:24 PM MDT

It should have been  postponed but there is no guarantee things will ever get better. The hardcpre antifaxxers are winning. We face another surge and remarking and redoing everything including spikes in deaths. Of course it could have been avoided but that would have giving a sh** which the antivaxxers don't. Simone Biles will probably never compete again. She said this will be her last shot. Sad that it is this way. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 21, 2021 7:44 AM MDT
      July 21, 2021 4:02 AM MDT

Well, it's unfortunate that Covid ruined the Olympics, but no one could possibly have predicted that.  I'm sure Simone Biles will find something worthwhile to do with the rest of her life and she has had a spectacular run.  
      July 21, 2021 7:45 AM MDT

She is phenomenal. Back in the day I thought Mary Lou Retton was tops. Well at the time she was but my goodness now? Where does it end or is it neverending? Improving? Thank you for your reply L. Gotta ask.
      July 21, 2021 9:36 AM MDT

Records are made to be broken.  The question with a gymnast is not how good they, but how high they can get to defy the laws of gravity. :)
      July 21, 2021 11:26 AM MDT

Saw Simone Biles yesterday during tryouts. She couldn't stick her landings at all. Some of the other gals did stick theirs. I wonder what's wrong? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 26, 2021 4:58 AM MDT

I suppose it could be she hasn't acclimated to the time difference.
      July 26, 2021 7:57 AM MDT

As you know by now she withdrew and also cited mental problems. Pressure too strong? I don't know. It's too bad though. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 29, 2021 12:20 PM MDT
      July 29, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

I've been reading up on her problem and I really feel bad for her.  She's still a winner in my book for not only her gymnastic prowess, but her honesty and her not wanting to continue to compete if it meant bringing down the rest of the team.

EDIT:  I just saw that the USA won gold for gymnastics - YAY.  

Also, I just found this on Facebook.  The non-supporting states felt she was a quitter.

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at July 30, 2021 3:10 AM MDT
      July 29, 2021 12:22 PM MDT

Thank you for providing the map L. Why am I NOT SURPRISED? I have nothing but empathy for folks who have to deal with depression or other illnesses. I have a dear long-time friend who has suffered from clinical depression. It runs in his family. He told me that some days he just saw no reason to get out of bed. Can you imagine that? The only time I've felt that way is when I'm really sick which is very rare. His doc put him on meds and had to switch them around from time to time over the years because I guess the body builds up a resistance to them. Now I've been "down in the dumps" at times but always short-term. Anyone who suffers from things outside their control is fighting a battle the rest of us can't imagine. But kicking folks who are down is the MO of GUANO and his GUANOHEADS. They get special thrills out of being cruel. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 30, 2021 3:17 AM MDT

I can't imagine what it's like to suffer from depression.
      July 30, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

Me either and we're blessed that we can't even though we both have EXCELLENT imaginations. I don't like being "down in the dumps" which I can get on occasion. But I always snap right up out of it. I take after my dad. So does my sis. Dad was the positive parent and I don't remember ever seeing him depressed or down or negative. It's funny though when he was driving if he encountered a wacky driver who didn't signal he'd say "DONZYGOAT"! Now I never once heard our dad swear. You'd think DONZYGOAT would be a doozy epithet in Armenian. Well DONZ is pear and GOAT is stem so he'd call them a pear stem! Is that hilarious or what? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 31, 2021 6:12 AM MDT

Funny, the things we remember about our parents. :)  Happy Saturday. :)
      July 31, 2021 8:57 AM MDT

Indeed it is. I think they know when and how we think about them. I like to think that whom does it hurt? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 31, 2021 8:59 AM MDT

Hurts no one and keeps them in your heart.
      July 31, 2021 9:04 AM MDT

You got that Right! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 31, 2021 9:40 AM MDT

I was wondering if some of the athelites that won a medal will always wonder if they would of still won the metal if the compation wasn't tinned out because of the coronaviris.  Not hearing a cheering crowd must be hard on them too - cheering helps. The only good thing about it this year is those cheating steroid taking Russians wern't invited to compete. Cheers and  3 cheers to team Canada!
      July 29, 2021 11:08 AM MDT

I understand some of those Russkies are competing anyway.  

"In the aftermath of 2019 sanctions levied against Russia for state-sponsored doping, the International Olympic Committee determined that while Russian athletes could compete in these Games and the 2022 Beijing Winter Games, they could not do so under their country’s banner. They would be without their flag and, should they win gold medals, without their national anthem."

https://sports.yahoo.com/drug-scandals-politics-led-russians-120001977.html
      July 29, 2021 12:28 PM MDT

I've never competed in anything Nanoose but I'm pretty sure champions want to compete against THE BEST because it makes the win that much more satisfying. It's the same in all sports I think. Beating THE BEST is what competitors hope for. And as for the cheers it does seem odd that no fans are there to cheer them on IN PERSON. I wonder where we will be vis a vis a pandemic during the next OLYMPICS? Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      July 30, 2021 3:19 AM MDT