Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How did the most popular kids from your high school or college graduating class eventually turn out 10, 25, or 40 years later?

How did the most popular kids from your high school or college graduating class eventually turn out 10, 25, or 40 years later?

Of course, not all of us know the answers to this, and not all of us even care. If, however, you happen to know about any of your former classmates and you would like to share, please feel free to do so. Thank you.

In my case, I was not part of either the in-crowd nor the popular crowd, I know absolutely nothing about any of my former classmates’ lives, and it’s not a topic that interests me at all.
~

Posted - July 20, 2021

Responses

Odd, but most of us didn't care about 'most popular' back then. The friends I had were very popular to me. The few I met at our 50th did quite well. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 20, 2021 3:11 PM MDT
      July 20, 2021 10:33 AM MDT

Some of the kids took over farming from their fathers, some became trades people, a few were into professions of some sort. I had joined the Navy as an Ordinary Seaman and could have become Admiral of the Fleet Maritime Command if I had not become addicted to pusser rum that was a daily issue back a long time ago.
      July 20, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

I'm connected with about 250 friends from high school online.  Out of those I was truly friends with about 20 but like all of my classmates.  It was the teachers who were just doofuses.    I talk daily with a few of those people.  We all seem to have lived middle-class happy lives.  I say that as a generality.  Of course some endured unbearable sadnesses or horrible health issues.  But as a large 600 or so graduating class, I don't know of any who became violent criminals.  We did have quite a number of guys who got involved in bookmaking at a young age.  A few of them, through the adult years, spent two-year stints in prison.  They were nice people though.   Some of the people I thought to be so good looking back in high school are not so much now.  The opposite is true as well. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 21, 2021 1:22 PM MDT
      July 21, 2021 9:19 AM MDT

You posted (in part): “A few of them, through the adult years, spent two-year stints in prison.  They were nice people though.”

The word “they” refers specifically to the ones who went to prison, or to the group as a whole?
    ~

July 21, 2021 5:21 PM MDT

A few of them follows the sentence about the ones who became bookie flunkies while still in high school. Pronouns point to the most recent previously discussed person/people.

...a number of guys...
    ...a few of them spent time in prison...
    ...they were nice people....

July 22, 2021 7:21 AM MDT

Thank you for the clarification, but the fact that the reference to someone being nice people was a separate sentence as opposed to the use of a comma and continuing the same sentence does not automatically mean the last pronoun used. That was certainly your intent, as you have explained in the clarification, however, it was not a given. I merely asked because I wasn’t sure, that you.
    ~

July 22, 2021 7:28 AM MDT

I never really had any interest in knowing what happened to the more popular kids. The thing is that I kept to myself and concentrated on getting in and out like a duck mating. It was a terrible experience and most of those kids were arseholes. I made it a point of never being found by my high school ever again.
      July 22, 2021 7:35 AM MDT