Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it by CHOICE that some people become hermits or are they forced into it by circumstance? Are they all odd? Do they go mad?

Is it by CHOICE that some people become hermits or are they forced into it by circumstance? Are they all odd? Do they go mad?

HERMIT
A person who has withdrawn to a solitary place for a life of religious seclusion
Any person living in seclusion; recluse

The synonyms are words with which I am not familiar. Are you?

Eremite
Monastic (that word I AM familiar with)
Anchorite
Cenobite

Posted - July 21, 2021

Responses

Both. 

Some people choose a solitary life (usually for religious reasons).  Some people who are hermits have mental problems (not in their right mind).  Still others end up alone by circumstances, such as - being very shy, have trouble interacting with others (don’t “fit in”), were abused (physically, mentally, sexually), and so forth.  People like this usually end up being ostracized or ignored as others don’t know how to deal with them (considered odd). 

Yes, they can “go mad”.  Loneliness (whether real or perceived) is a form of torture.

July 21, 2021 1:30 PM MDT

I love to interact with people here when I'm in the mood. Because I'm kinda shy still being here is my main social outlet and I expect it may be for many others too what with the spectre of COVID hanging over everyone's head. Being a LONER and enjoying solitude is one thing. Having no one to chat with or exchange ideas with or laugh with?  I can't even almost imagine that. It's way too scary! Are those prone to being hermits BORN that way or perhaps they experienced some very bad things and just decide to pull away from the stream of life and observe rather than interact/participate? In any case isolation forever in no way appeals to me! Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! This post was edited by RosieG at July 22, 2021 12:18 PM MDT
      July 22, 2021 3:15 AM MDT