Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Does time flow?

Does time flow?

We have the subjective feeling that it does, and that it does so at varying rates? What does it feel like for you?

There are, in science I believe, many different ways to define time.
What are some that you have heard of?
And how do you view time?

Posted - October 29, 2016

Responses

Aye, indeed. Although not steadily, methink. TIME is movement. The faster things travel through space the faster for it time flows but while observing things outside it, not matching its velocity, the slower time appears. This post was edited by O-uknow at October 29, 2016 3:49 PM MDT
      October 29, 2016 1:36 PM MDT

• Art thou a time traveller perchance? Hast thou Dr Who's knowledge? :-)
    I like your answer: so Einsteinian!
      October 29, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

We all are travelers through time, one day at a time but something remarkable happens the closer your velocity gets to the speed of light. Since your atoms and molecules cannot themselves break the cosmic speed limit, they slow down as your velocity reaches that of light. So a traveler near the speed of light becomes frozen in time where outside hundreds or thousands of years may be going by. It appears the opposite begins to happen. At what point might be measured by atomic clocks in orbit traveling many thousands of miles an hour.
      October 29, 2016 6:25 PM MDT

Time disappears, you watch, poof and it will be gone, someday will be swept under the rug.

Today is someday that some don't recognize.  Marriage is supposed to be "together," now it is too late. 

This post was edited by . at October 29, 2016 2:46 PM MDT
      October 29, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

• Watching, poof! and it is gone - yes, my experience exactly.
    Today not recognized by some - yes, in numerous different ways.
    Swept under the rug, yes by some in some circumstances, perhaps to be later rediscovered.
    Too late can be real or subjective.
    Recently I have experienced a renewal in my marriage which I would never have thought possible and it is wonderful.
    I like your post. Thank you! :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 29, 2016 3:57 PM MDT
      October 29, 2016 3:56 PM MDT

• No.  Not really.

October 29, 2016 4:01 PM MDT

• When I was a kid...time was my nemesis and made the arrival of Christmas seem like an eternity moving at the speed of a glacier.  Today...time is still my nemesis moving at the speed of a well tuned BMW.  Just waiting to get runover...
      October 29, 2016 4:31 PM MDT

Time is static /infinite;  everything revolves around time in a relative way. 
      October 29, 2016 5:45 PM MDT

seems like it
      October 29, 2016 6:33 PM MDT