Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Do you or have you ever collected coins?

Do you or have you ever collected coins?

Posted - July 27, 2021

Responses

Yes, I used to collect coins.  
      July 27, 2021 1:52 PM MDT

My dad had a bunch of them but pawned them off.
      July 27, 2021 2:00 PM MDT

Nope
      July 27, 2021 2:11 PM MDT

yes I sometimes pick up coins dropped on the floor.
    and then asked any cashiers to turn coins into nickels, dimes, quarters, or dollars.

July 27, 2021 3:12 PM MDT

I have a box of foreign currency, mostly coins.  I didn't try to assemble it, it is just money left in my purse and his pockets during travel.  It's fun to go through.  My kids liked to get the box down and look at the odd coins.  It was always a hit for them on show and tell days.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 27, 2021 10:24 PM MDT
      July 27, 2021 3:22 PM MDT

I collected some from each country I visited during my time in the Navy.
      July 27, 2021 4:49 PM MDT

Not in the sense of being a numismatist, but when I was in my teens, I was very friendly with the son of the super in my building.  He joined the Navy and sent me a coin or two from every country he went to.  Somewhere, I still have them in an album.
      July 27, 2021 10:22 PM MDT

In 1976, when bicentennial quarters were produced by the US Mint, my brothers and I began collecting them. It didn’t end well, because being so young, we were not very organized about it, and for some strange reason, we kept them in the top drawer of the dresser in our bedroom which we all shared. We saw it as a joint venture, but we thought we’d at least keep track of who collected what. The pile of quarters grew and grew, with each of us under the mistaken impression that we’d independently keep track of how many belonged to whom, and every now and then we’d get together to count them all. In short order, though, the arguments began as we each accused the other two of miscounting. In anger, we decided we’d maintain separate stashes, so we divided the total by three. That didn’t work either, because we each thought we were shortchanged somehow. Once we all had our own “hiding places”, albeit in the same dresser but in three different drawers, the mistrust ensued as we each suspected the other two of fingers-in-the-cookie-jar tactics. 

I can’t remember how it all ended, though. 

~

July 27, 2021 10:37 PM MDT

It ended by you spending them.
      July 28, 2021 7:41 AM MDT

I’m referring to the rivalry when I say I can’t remember how it ended. Heck, we were little kids and that was a zillion years ago. Who remembers details of every childhood squabble they had with their siblings? [Thanks, you’ve just inspired a new question, which I will post posthaste.]

As for the bicentennial quarters, I still collect them, I have a slew of them. 

~

July 28, 2021 7:48 AM MDT