Discussion » Questions » Shopping » I went to a carry out about an hour ago to get some items, but only took twenty dollars. The tab came to thirty.

I went to a carry out about an hour ago to get some items, but only took twenty dollars. The tab came to thirty.

The owner said I was ten short, but he said I was good for it, that he trusted me and pay him the ten next time. (I go there often.) Has this ever happened to you?

Posted - July 29, 2021

Responses

Not since I moved out of my first apartment.  There was a deli across the street and I shopped there all the time.  The owner and I became friendly so if I was a little short, he would let it go until the next time.  He was even nice enough to ask if I needed anything delivered when I was sick with the flu.  That was about 50 years ago. :)
      July 29, 2021 2:12 PM MDT

Jews take care of one-another. The owner of the store I went to is Hindu, from India. Very nice. He calls me 'My friend' or 'brother'.
      July 29, 2021 2:16 PM MDT

True, but this guy was Italian - same thing.  We have much in common with Italians.  When I was working in the City, there was this street vendor I bought my bagel and coffee from every morning.  Periodically, I would send over one someone who looked like they needed something to eat and told him if someone showed up using my name, I would pay for their breakfast the next day.  The cart owner was Middle Eastern and he, too, was very nice.  
      July 29, 2021 2:22 PM MDT

I have found, in my travels in the Navy, MOST people are very nice.
      July 29, 2021 2:26 PM MDT

• Most people are very nice to other nice people.  
      July 29, 2021 2:28 PM MDT

I have met very few people who are not nice if you treat them the same way.
      July 29, 2021 2:58 PM MDT

• It hasn't happened to me because we always use our debit card for carry out.  If the guy knows you, he wants to keep you as a customer.  I would make sure to continue to do business with him .. nice guy.  

July 29, 2021 2:27 PM MDT

I would have used my card but it was in my wallet at home.
      July 29, 2021 5:23 PM MDT

I can't remember the last time I used cash.
      July 29, 2021 6:18 PM MDT

You would use a card for only one jar of Vegemite?
      July 30, 2021 8:03 AM MDT

Who buys it by the jar?

July 31, 2021 2:19 AM MDT

No.  When I first married we lived in a cool neighborhood that was revitalizing at that time.  The little grocery store two blocks away had been there for many many years and owned by an Italian family that we got to know quite well.  I liked to shop there when my first child came along because the grandmother would take the baby gladly while I did my shopping.  We always bought our meat there and they sold black olives from a big wooden barrel and hubs loved, I mean LOVED, them.    I never took advantage of this but I saw many elderly people buy groceries and sign their receipt and hand it back to the employee who put it under the tray in the cash drawer.  I didn't know what it meant and eventually asked.  They said those elderly people had been customers for years and never failed to pay for their "receipts" when they received their Social Security or pension checks each month.  Times have really changed but my guess is that if that store is still owned by that same family the practice is still ongoing. 
      July 30, 2021 8:31 AM MDT

Yes, I've been trusted similarly many times. 
      August 1, 2021 6:47 PM MDT