Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » So if I am everything the world made me to be, what am I but a pawn of Fate's?
D&D

So if I am everything the world made me to be, what am I but a pawn of Fate's?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

• I dislike the idea of fate, just as I dislike the idea of fatalists; 'If it's going to happen, it's going to happen'.  I've never see a fatalist fail to look both ways before crossing the road, which rather gives the lie to such a belief.

If you know yourself and can think for yourself, the world cannot make you what you are not.
      October 30, 2016 4:20 AM MDT

Myself is just what my dad's sperm and mom's egg have made me be, combined with my upbringing (parental figures, immediate and extended family and friends) and society I grew up in. I had no power to choose any of that. All of my physical characteristics is genetic (blood type, height, colour, legs, feet, head, hair, primary and secondary sexual characteristics) and thoughts are formed because of environment and genetics. Originality just happens to be, I can't change my blood type by willpower. I can't change society's racism or gender discrimination. 

It's like trying to change the orbit of the Earth around the Sun.

I don't know all that I am but everything I am is a product of Fate, ultimately.
      October 31, 2016 12:45 AM MDT

• We may be everything that the world made us to be,
    but everything that we are is more than that.

We can make the best of what circumstances and resources we have.

It might be as subtle as a shift in attitude,
    or it might be that with tremendous effort we can overcome our obstacles.
      October 30, 2016 7:32 AM MDT

That's perfectly possible.
      October 30, 2016 4:40 PM MDT