Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A tanker truck carrying 8000 gallons of gasoline "fell off" an I 595 ramp in Davie, Florida and EXPLODED! "Fall off" a ramp?

A tanker truck carrying 8000 gallons of gasoline "fell off" an I 595 ramp in Davie, Florida and EXPLODED! "Fall off" a ramp?

They don't know what caused. The driver might have suffered a medical situation. Perhaps he took the ramp too fast. He died of course.

I know truck drivers are VIGOROUSLY tested and schooled so something very bad must have happened to him that triggered it.

Ever drive a truck or know someone who did/does?

Posted - August 2, 2021

Responses

I hadn't heard of this until now.  What a horrible way to go!  I've never driven a truck myself, but one of the soldiers with whom I became friendly and still keep in touch was a long haul trucker.  
      August 2, 2021 7:42 AM MDT

David, the son who passed away in 2019 and Gary both were long haul truckers. Now Gary works for Waste Management so he is home every night. The job of a trucker is very complicated. It seems it would be a piece of cake right? Except you have paperwork to fill out up the kazoo. Requirements and rules and restrictions you must meet OR ELSE. I could never do it. The poor guy might have had a heart attack or something. Anyway I hope they figure it out. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 2, 2021 8:33 AM MDT

It is a difficult job.  Means being away from home for periods of time not to mention all the points you brought up.
      August 2, 2021 2:08 PM MDT

Exactly. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      August 3, 2021 4:18 AM MDT

Happy Tuesday. :)
      August 3, 2021 6:21 AM MDT

:):):) ((hugs))
      August 3, 2021 6:23 AM MDT

I was a local truck driver before I got pregnant and my husband was a long-distance truck driver before we got married.

Tankers are more difficult to drive because of the sloshing of the liquid in the tanker.  It can push the truck forward or sideways.  Even liquid in tanks on a regular enclosed trailer can do that, which is why a tank endorsement is still required to haul those loads.

I don’t know if the liquid surge pushed him off the ramp or not.  There’ll probably be a more thorough investigation, which will take a long time.

Gasoline tankers are compartmentalized to reduce the surge, but milk or juice trailers are the most difficult to drive because they’re not allowed to be compartmentalized.

My last driving job was a milk tanker, so I had to be extra careful with it.

I still work in trucking.  My husband has his own freight brokerage business and he owns four trucks.  I help handle the licenses, permits and safety for his four-truck trucking company. This post was edited by Livvie at August 3, 2021 4:18 AM MDT
      August 2, 2021 12:30 PM MDT

OMG Livvie! THAT TOTALLY AMAZES ME! Seriously I am  extremely impressed with you. You are fearless and brave in my opinion. Me? Out on the road delivering things having to be at a certain place at a certain time every day? That alone is daunting what with traffic being so unpredictable. I think you must be A VERY CALM person who doesn't get riled or intimidated easily. On top of that you have all the rules/regs and paperwork? Also I think it's superduper that you and husband share the same experiences workwise since you've both been there. Thank you for sharing that with us. What else about you is gonna gobstomp me? In a very good way. I do so admire those who are what I'm not and have what I don't have that I wish I did. I'm not physically adventurous or brave at all. I am mentally. My mind travels far but you already know that. Physically? Nope I'm not. I"m timid.  Happy Tuesday to thee and thine m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 3, 2021 4:26 AM MDT
      August 3, 2021 4:25 AM MDT