Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In the long ago (FDR days) we trusted government to do right by us. We never asked "Why Distrust"?

In the long ago (FDR days) we trusted government to do right by us. We never asked "Why Distrust"?

Today we ask WHY TRUST?

Posted - August 4, 2021

Responses

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy.
    - Thomas Jefferson

When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. - Thomas Jefferson

Will Rogers, regarding FDR's "New Deal":

Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better than the government we got for one-third the money twenty years ago.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

What's my point?
    It seems to me, that Americans have always held a level of distrust of government.
    In fact, Americans were told by the Founders to distrust government. 
    That is the whole point of the first 10 Amendments, really.  They didn't even trust the new government they just created.
      August 4, 2021 7:24 AM MDT

I am forever optimistic hopeful even if I have to reach far back in life's experiences. I BELIEVE government is here to help us when we need it. Despite the proof to the contrary that is what I believe the role of government is. To do for the people what they unable to do for themselves. I shall always believe that despite otherwise being inundated with proof it isn't. I believe in unicorns and angels and miracles Walt. That's the kinda gal I am. I appreciate your constant GROUNDED in FACTS views. I make it a point to live in a fantasy world of my own making. Check out the variety of questions I ask about that. I yam who I yam. Thank you for being you too. Happy Tuesday to thee and thine Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 4, 2021 8:04 AM MDT
      August 4, 2021 8:03 AM MDT