Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you have to stay indoors and seal up your home as best as you can because of very bad air would spraying LYSOL be a good thing to do?

If you have to stay indoors and seal up your home as best as you can because of very bad air would spraying LYSOL be a good thing to do?

Posted - August 6, 2021

Responses

I don't think spraying Lysol is a good thing it is made for killing germs not taking care of forest fire smoke. you would probably better of with a air purifier. Cheers  and happy weekend!

August 6, 2021 1:04 PM MDT

You know Shuhak is near some fires up north and has sealed up his home and is running THREE AIR PURIFIERS Nanoose. And when I asked the question about LYSOL he agreed with you only he was very emphatic...NO NO NO! He said that would crap up the air not make it better. Poor guy. His skies are smoky 24/7. How are things going for you? I know that there are or were some pretty bad fires in Canada. Anything near enough to you to crap up YOUR air? Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      August 6, 2021 1:28 PM MDT

No smoke here yet but that could change. Tomorrow I am going into town and I will probably buy an air purifier to be on the safe side. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 6, 2021 3:49 PM MDT

Oh that sounds like a very good idea m'dear. SIGH. Of course I hope you NEVER HAVE T USE IT but just in case it will be there. I think Shuhak's home is relatively small and he has 3 AIR PURIFIERS going. So maybe if your home is quite large and you try that one out you might consider getting more. It's a terrible thing to have to prepare for...being unable to breathe clean fresh air because there is none available! And not just in a couple of "hot spots". Worldwide there are raging fires. Is there any way to determine how much of this is due to GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE?  Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      August 7, 2021 4:11 AM MDT

If one doesn't have recirculated air (as with a heating/air system) it's a VERY BAD thing!!  It adds more pollutants to the air  making it harder to breathe.  If I remember correctly, it clings to the oxygen molecules rendering them unavailable for respiration (or something like that).  Not to mention that sprays like that CAN be carcinogenic. 
      August 6, 2021 1:29 PM MDT

Do you have to sanitize your air purifiers Shuhak? Is it a relatively easy thing to do? Nanoose said he is considering getting an air purifier and I told him you have THREE. I've never used one. Oh I wanted to tell you this. Our ex-daughter-in-law had a dehumidifier which she used and had to keep it very clean so it took a lot of upkeep work. Otherwise bacteria would form and she'd end up breathing dangerous air. Are air purifiers anything like that? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 7, 2021 10:47 AM MDT
      August 7, 2021 4:15 AM MDT

The manual says just to change the HEPA filters when they become "full".  Bacteria thrive in moist environments such and humidifiers and dehumidifiers.  There's no moisture in an air purifier.
      August 7, 2021 10:51 AM MDT

Oh. Okey dokey then! Good to know! I expect that's something else I should have known! AARRGGHH! :(  Thank you for your helpful reply Shuhak! :)
      August 7, 2021 11:04 AM MDT

I don't use sanitizing sprays at home, and we also don't need to seal our house...yet. The past week we have been able to open our windows at night for fresh air.
      August 7, 2021 7:39 AM MDT

I sincerely hope it stays that way for you in Toledo E! So far Shuhak is in a very dangerous area.THere is a price to be paid for living wihere it is LUSH and beautiful. We have so far escaped any bad air in Hemet but I know it will change for the worse at some point. Fingers crossed things get better everywhere. I'm pretty sure the odds of success sealed with finger crossing won't help. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      August 7, 2021 7:45 AM MDT

It's pretty lush here. From the air many residential neighborhoods can't be seen for the trees.
      August 7, 2021 8:08 AM MDT

WOW. LUCKY YOU! But you know living in California I forget that other states have that going for them. In fact when my son was in Boston for 6 months we visited him. The comment from Jim I remember most vividly was something along the lines of "I can't believe all these tree-lined streets". Rich was staying in the Chestnut Hill section where the neighborhoods are all like that. In fact I can't think of any neighborhood anywhere in Massachusetts where we were that wasn't like that! So thank you for reminding me that the desert of California is not all there is in our country!  I remember it well because we lived in a Boston suburb for 5 years so long ago! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 7, 2021 2:13 PM MDT
      August 7, 2021 8:20 AM MDT

The only 'wild fire' in my states recent history is when a couple of idiots set the Smoky Mountains on fire and almost burned down Gatlinburg. The majority of our air alerts comes from pollen and ragweed. 
      August 7, 2021 10:33 AM MDT

Oh my goodness!  Glad it survived. Gatlinburg gone? Oh my goodness. Well I guess that's pretty lucky though for those who have allergies it can't be a picnic! Thank you for your reply glenho and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      August 8, 2021 2:16 AM MDT

That was a couple of years ago and most of it has been rebuilt. It was really bad and several people lost their lives. 
      August 13, 2021 4:58 AM MDT

Condolences and very sad. Thank you for your reply glenho and Happy Friday the 13th to thee and thine! :)
      August 13, 2021 5:16 AM MDT

I do not use air sprays of any kind.  I don't want to inhale that stuff.  Air purifiers would seem to be the answer to the smoke problems or poor quality air issues.  I live between two major airports, so the air is rarely "excellent" and when it is, it's because there is a substantial wind, but not from the west.  We've had some air quality issues due to the western fires.  
      August 7, 2021 1:40 PM MDT

I know we had a conversation about it. I think I might even have apologized for our gunking up your air all the way across the continent. I fear there is more and worse ahead though. I HOPE I'M DEAD WRONG! Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 8, 2021 10:43 AM MDT
      August 8, 2021 2:17 AM MDT

No need for apologies - it isn't you fault.  I'm not sure how this can be prevented in the future, but if they don't think of something soon, northern CA will be nothing more than a lot of uninhabitable burnt acreage.
      August 8, 2021 10:45 AM MDT

I know. SHUHAK is once again surrounded by fires in northern California. Every year it's getting worse. Up and down the state things are not remotely great. Our turn will come in southern California. No doubt. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 8, 2021 10:47 AM MDT

All the more difficult to fight the fires with the lack of available water.  
      August 8, 2021 10:50 AM MDT

Vicious circle which of course gets viciouser as the dought gets worser. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 22, 2021 2:18 AM MDT

You would think that at this point, there wouldn't be that much forest left to burn.
      August 22, 2021 10:34 AM MDT

I know. New fires keep happing and existing fires keep doubling. I fear for Shuhak who lives "up north" whose air has been pretty much crapped up for weeks. He gets a respite now and then of "clean" air but it doesn't last. How are you doing rainwise floodwise and otherwise? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 23, 2021 3:11 AM MDT