Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » On April 10, 1866 in New York City Henry Bergh created the ASPCA*. Is there a comparable organization for homo saps? If not why not?

On April 10, 1866 in New York City Henry Bergh created the ASPCA*. Is there a comparable organization for homo saps? If not why not?

American
Society
for the
Prevention
of
Cruelty
to Animals

Posted - August 8, 2021

Responses

Each state has its own version of the Department of Child Services which is supposed to protect and care for children who may be in situations that are detrimental to them.  I believe that in most cases, they try very hard to accomplish their mission, but I also believe they are overwhelmed and there are children who fall through the cracks.  Sometimes, it's due to to a lack of care on the part of the social worker and other times there are other reasons.  I don't believe that it serves children well to have them go from one foster home to another until they age out at 18 and find themselves out on the street with no emotional or financial support or any way of caring for themselves.  
      August 8, 2021 12:07 PM MDT

What is the alternative L? Kids who are unwanted or live in abusive homes?  If there are no relatives who are willing to care for them off to the orphanage they go? It is a sad state but how do we ameliorate? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 10, 2021 8:05 AM MDT
      August 10, 2021 6:21 AM MDT

I thought those old orphanages, too.  Maybe there is some group home scenario where these children could be well cared for and not be shuffled from one home to another.  Clearly, what we have now is not an ideal situation whether it's leaving the child in the care of terrible parents or in foster care.  Too many foster parents are in it only for the money.  
      August 10, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

You know being a kid and growing up isn't a walk in the park. Having LOVING SANE parents is a huge plus of course but still you got a lot of stuff you go through just growing up. Now not having a home? Being shuffled to here or there? Having some "caretakers" be kind and loving and others cold and reserved? Knowing at any time you can be shuffled off to another somewhere? On top of that you are badly abused? What chance is there for a kid like that? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 10, 2021 1:37 PM MDT

Well, if they're being removed from a home where the parent(s) abuse the children) 24/7, I'd say you would be better off in a group home.  "cold and reserved" is still better than abused and/or killed.
      August 10, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

Unless in that group some sexual abuse occurs. I don't know what the odds are of that but not all group homes or Foster Parents are good. I think it's a crapshoot in fact though I don't know that for a fact. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :) How's your weather so far? This post was edited by RosieG at August 23, 2021 2:59 AM MDT
      August 22, 2021 2:10 AM MDT

Naturally, you would have to keep the males and females separated except for schooling and some well-chaperoned social events.  If you could get staffers who are really caring and supervisors who are on the ball, it could work.
      August 22, 2021 10:38 AM MDT

I think I shall ask that question L. Anyone live in foster homes or know anyone who has? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 23, 2021 2:59 AM MDT

There kind of was something similar when Trump was in office - he kept a lot of kids in cages. Cheers!
      August 10, 2021 8:34 AM MDT

Touche m'dear but I think they still are aren't they? I wonder what kind of improvements if any the Biden Gubment has effected? They all need to be reuinited with their families. What kind of mental and emotional lifetime problems will those children have who were separated for months or maybe even years? Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 10, 2021 1:40 PM MDT
      August 10, 2021 1:39 PM MDT