Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever been to Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Takelau and Tuvalu? Small island nations that may become extinct! Why?

Ever been to Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Takelau and Tuvalu? Small island nations that may become extinct! Why?

Climate change and rising seas. Other island nations are similarly concerned.

As for the United States by 2045 coastal cities will be affected adversely by sea rise. Even if climate change is addressed and we finally DO SOMETHING about it we cannot stop the seas from rising apparently. That process is already in motion.

I wonder how many small island nations there are worldwide and I wonder knowing they may disappear one day will do to the way they live now?

Posted - August 10, 2021

Responses

I watched  a documenary about how  the Netherlands has been buying up land in other coutries so they can move the people of Holland when it gets flooded from rising sea levals. Cheers!
      August 10, 2021 4:28 PM MDT

That is surely PLANNING AHEAD. It that true m'dear or a tease a joke? Either way thank you for your reply and if true I wonder if all the many very vulnerable island nations will be doing likewise. 2045 seems to be a year when such calamities will be occurring frequently. How close to the water are you? Close enough to enjoy the view but far enough away to be safe? The damage is done no matter what we do now with regard to rising seas. Anyway I guess we will see what happens when it happens.
      August 11, 2021 3:14 AM MDT

Rather ironical for Holland because the land most at risk is the polders - artificially reclaimed (re-?) from the sea.

The worst predicted rise is two metres (6' 6") by the end of the century. That could affect not only very low-relief islands and coasts but also some low-lying river valleys a long way inland. It would make the river's own overflows (from rain) more frequent.

In slightly higher places the hazard might not be the high Spring Tides line so much, as more frequent floods when storms co-incide with such tides.

A large sea-level rise would also encourage rapid cliff-retreat in many areas as the waves can then reach cliffs usually protected to a large extent by the beach slope. It will depend a lot on the rock forming the cliffs - a sequence of thin clays and bands of limestone, for example, will cut back much more rapidly than a deep mass of more solid rock.  The cliffs will cut back until they and the sea come back to a degree of equilibrium slowing the erosion to the existing rate; bearing in mind that it's usually the weather that breaks them down and the sea that removes the fallen material. 
      August 12, 2021 3:38 PM MDT

I havn't been to any of those, but I've been to Papaumaumau.
      August 12, 2021 4:28 PM MDT