Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » When an ant crawls on me, can she sense my body heat, heartbeat, breathing, etc.?

When an ant crawls on me, can she sense my body heat, heartbeat, breathing, etc.?

~

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

probably , especially if you kill it
      October 30, 2016 7:56 PM MDT

I don't think it senses anything after that one, Pearlie.
      October 30, 2016 8:08 PM MDT

Yes. They are little computers of sensory input.   They are way smarter than we are and way smarter than Crab People even.

Ant societies have division of labour, communication between individuals, and an ability to solve complex problems.[10] These parallels with human societies have long been an inspiration and subject of study. Many human cultures make use of ants in cuisine, medication, and rituals. Some species are valued in their role as biological pest control agents.[11] Their ability to exploit resources may bring ants into conflict with humans, however, as they can damage crops and invade buildings. Some species, such as the red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta), are regarded as invasive species, establishing themselves in areas where they have been introduced accidentally.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2016 8:13 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 8:10 PM MDT

I dunno, but I'd bet her first concern would be eating the remnants from dinner off your clothing.
      October 30, 2016 9:12 PM MDT

:)

October 30, 2016 10:53 PM MDT

• Taken from Research News at Vanderbilt University: Lawrence Zweizel's research team recently completed the first map of the olfactory system of ants. They found that these insects have 400 genes determining 400 distinct odorant receptors, more than double the sensitivity of the next best scent detecting species, the honeybee. They are highly sensitive to the smells of animals and plants that provide food, and also to each other's scent signals which are an essential part of their social communication and coordination.

All ant species construct their nests in a way which allows control of airflow and temperature.
    This photo of Magnetic Ants, taken in Litchfield National Part in Northen Australia, shows how the ants build their colonies with perfect orientation North-South. This structure allows maximum absorption of heat when the sun is at its lowest, and minimum during the peak heat of the day. Combined with insulation and opening and closing vents, they can keep the internal temperature at the same degree all year round. Such skills show that they are highly sensitive to heat.

I could not find any information about sensitivity to heartbeat. But I observe that if I walk over an ants' nest, the soldiers and others will soon come pouring out looking defensive and agitated. It would make sense that they would be highly sensitive to rhythmic vibrations and beats because the small ones may indicate prey and the large ones, predators.

Indeed, that little ant crawling across your body could be much more sensitive to your body heat, breathing, scent, and heartbeat than a woman who is your lover.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 30, 2016 11:08 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 9:49 PM MDT

Thanks, Hartfire, this is great information!
    :)
      October 30, 2016 10:54 PM MDT

Yes, but it does not recognize it a heartbeat, breathing or whatever
      October 31, 2016 11:48 AM MDT

JakobA.  The ones I have talked to actually do recognize all of the above.

My Ant Florence and my Ant Mary both can recognize body heat and heart rate.
      October 31, 2016 11:56 AM MDT

They must be Ant Queens, those have special powers ;-))
      October 31, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . .

~
      October 31, 2016 11:27 PM MDT

Ant Jemimah is coming over for breakfast today.
      November 1, 2016 7:45 AM MDT

~
      November 1, 2016 7:46 AM MDT