Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Who is your favorite author? WHY specifically is he/she your FAVORITE? Do you ever wish you could live in one of the books you've read?

Who is your favorite author? WHY specifically is he/she your FAVORITE? Do you ever wish you could live in one of the books you've read?

Posted - August 11, 2021

Responses

Stephen King....no I would never want to live in one of his books. 
      August 11, 2021 5:05 AM MDT

Uh - - why?

;)

(Ha!)
      August 11, 2021 9:54 AM MDT

Lol. 
      August 11, 2021 1:26 PM MDT

It's a toss-up between William W Johnstone and Louis L'Amour.

I used to wish I could live in one of L'Amour's Sackett books, and meet them.
      August 11, 2021 7:07 AM MDT

Did Louis write about the cowboy west? The name is kinda familiar. Never heard of William W. Johnstone. Is that something else I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN but don't? Thank you for your reply. The SACKETT books? Shall I GOOGLE or shall you inform me? :)
      August 11, 2021 7:11 AM MDT

Yes ... Louis L'Amour is a famous American author of westerns.
    I'd say he's one of the two most famous in that genre - the other being Zane Grey.

The Sackett books follow a family as the frontier expands from the original colonies westward.

There were some western movies made, based on L'Amour books.
    https://www.louislamour.com/movies/filmography.html

L'Amour also wrote a biography called Education of a Wandering Man, about his life growing up and travelling the US and abroad.
    From his decision to leave school at fifteen to roam the world, to his recollections of life as a hobo on the Southern Pacific Railroad, as a cattle skinner in Texas, as a merchant seaman in Singapore and the West Indies, and as an itinerant bare-knuckled prizefighter across small-town America, here is Louis L'Amour's memoir of his lifelong love affair with learning--from books, from yondering, and from some remarkable men and women--that shaped him as a storyteller and as a man. Like classic L'Amour fiction, Education of a Wandering Man mixes authentic frontier drama--such as the author's desperate efforts to survive a sudden two-day trek across the blazing Mojave desert--with true-life characters like Shanghai waterfront toughs, desert prospectors, and cowboys whom Louis L'Amour met while traveling the globe. (from Google book review)
      August 11, 2021 8:54 AM MDT

You got my interest with that m'dear! WOW! Thank you for filling in a lot of detail to help me understand it better. Anyone who has a life-
    long affair WITH LEARNING is my cuppa tea. Thank you for the link. I will GOOGLE it. How did you happen upon him in the first place if I may be so bold as to inquire? :)
      August 11, 2021 9:13 AM MDT

My uncle was a big fan, and had ALL his books.
    My uncle got his son (my cousin) interested ... who mentioned it to me, so I started reading and got hooked.
    I think I have had an entire library of all L'Amour's books, three times.  (I would have a full collection, then have to get rid of them during a move.  Then buy them all over again.  Thank goodness for Kindle and electronic books.  lol)
      August 11, 2021 9:17 AM MDT

Know what? THAT IS MY VERY FAVORITE way to get hooked on something. WORD OF MOUTH by those you trust! No dog in a fight. Just honest opinion. Well I own all the books written by John Steinbeck. Did I ever tell you I wrote him a 28-page letter years ago and he replied? I have a treasured postcard from him. No kidding! My most precious treasure from a non-friend/relative. If you'd like to know what it says I'll share it with you. But not just because you are being polite. No need for that! Thank you for your reply Walt! :) The date he wrote it?  9 May '64!

I sent the 28 pages to his publisher. I guess it got forwarded. This post was edited by RosieG at August 11, 2021 9:54 AM MDT
      August 11, 2021 9:51 AM MDT

Nice.  Yes, share please.

In school, we had to read books from a list of authors and write reports on the book(s).
    My dad had a book by Steinbeck - I don't remember which one.  As he was on the list, I told the teacher I would use that book.
    The teacher had never heard of it, and couldn't find it at the local library, so I had to bring it in to prove Steinbeck wrote it.
    Ah, the days before the internet.  lol

August 11, 2021 10:15 AM MDT

I think you will find it quite worthwhile m'dear! Sit back relax here goes. ""Dear Rosemarie: I know only three sure roads to contentiment. 1. LOBOTOMY. 2. SENILITY. 3. INCURIOUS AND UNCRITICAL SELF SATISFACTION. Happyness(sic) comes only in bursts and sexual love the same. As for accomplishment....it keeps ahead of you and the more you accomplish the less it is enough. The only fulfilled people I know are those whose curiosity keeps them too busy to wonder whether they are happy, fulfilled, content or not. Be sure that no matter what you do it will not be enough to you. As for direction there are millions of them and they are all the same one. And in human endeavor the range between great and small is very short. Yours, John Steinbeck."

Did I tell you or what? His words directed at me in response to the 28 page thingy I wrote to him. See why I treasure it?

Thank you bigly for allowing me to share it. Every time I do it reminds me how very lucky I am! :)) This post was edited by RosieG at August 11, 2021 12:51 PM MDT
      August 11, 2021 11:17 AM MDT

Sounds like good advice, to me.
      August 11, 2021 12:53 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt.
      August 12, 2021 2:41 AM MDT