Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Would you reveal you had a disability (ex, diabetes) on a job interview?

Would you reveal you had a disability (ex, diabetes) on a job interview?

Is it better to mainly just focus on what you can do for the employer, your assets, personality etc, or do you also mention if you had a disability (if you needed a couple breaks in day?) ... ?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

• I allowed my curriculum vitae, presentation, and the quality of the communication in the interview to act as information about my assets. I did not state any assets openly.
    I have always declared my tendency to be prone to severe depression: always expected that it would count against me and it never did.
    In three instances, in interviews for work as an aged carer, the bosses considered it an advantage, because I could be expected to have empathy for the depression experienced by many old people as they gradually suffer losses of loved ones, abilities, home, and independence. And it was true, I did.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 31, 2016 10:41 AM MDT
      October 30, 2016 10:05 PM MDT

Thanks so much Hart ... I was just reading about disclosing disabilities on google, and the first article fromMonster.com said not to. Unless it will visibly hinder your job (like if you are deaf, or blind..) I think it was very noble and shows a TRUE character that you did let them know sometimes you can be prone to that, and It is wonderful that they were also not criticizing for it.. (they shouldn't). Appreciate your reply Hart :)
      October 30, 2016 10:13 PM MDT

Oh GOD no.  It is your job to make yourself look great.  That is a no-no in the interviewing world.  You don't present with your flaws. You present with your strengths. 

They don't need to know about problems.  All you are saying to them is that you need extra special attention.  You have not even been considered to be hired and if you do this?  I promise you, you will be tossed out on your ear. 

No one wants to know your problems at work.  They want to be assured that everyone keeps their problems at home and concentrate on the only thing they care about.  Getting the job done.  That is what you are getting paid for if you deserve it. 

If I have 10 candidates for the job and 9 of them are problem-free and I get you next and you tell me your problems?  Do you think I am going to call you back for a second interview? 

I remember when I just got sober in my early 30's. I thought I would have to explain to everyone who wanted to hire me that I was in AA when I interviewed.  Instinct told me to shut up and I was SO right.  SO, it is the same deal.  They want to know you are wonderful and want proof.  Not proof that you will be a burden. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2016 11:02 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 11:01 PM MDT

At least you told her not to disclose medical information, but it's not for the reasons you explained.  Laws in the US prohibit any employer from asking any health related questions and they can be fined and there can be both criminal and civil violations  It's only after employment, if an employee needs special accommodations for a medical condition, that they would need to provide medical documentation.
      October 31, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

Yes.  Disclose everything.  If you lie on an employment application and it is discovered 10 years (or any time) later you can and should be fired on the spot. 

Diabetes isn't a disability, by the way.
      October 31, 2016 12:34 AM MDT

That is incorrect.  At least as far as the laws in the United States, employers and potential employers are restricted from asking about employees or prospective employees about any medical conditions they have.  They can't even require them to take a medical exam as a condition of employment.  It's only after employment that an employee would be required to provide medical documentation if they required an accommodation for their medical problem.  And employers are required to keep any medical documentation and information confidential because they have to follow strict HIPAA regulations and there are civil as well as criminal penalties for those that don't comply.  So employers shouldn't even have any medical questions on their applications and if they did, the prospective employee isn't required to divulge that information and can even report the business.

You are correct, however, that diabetes is not considered a disability. This post was edited by ProblemCh1ld at October 31, 2016 1:15 PM MDT
      October 31, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/diabetes.cfm
    Diabetes is covered under th ADA. Employers have to provide reasonable accommodations for diabetics. 
      October 31, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

It depends on the degree to which I would need special accommodations and how that would impact the team I work with. I realize nobody has to disclose anything and employers can't ask, but for the sake of having a positive relationship with my boss and coworkers, I think I would discuss it. On small teams, one person needing special accommodations can increase the workload of everyone. If you get into that kind of situation, your coworkers/ bosses aren't going to be pleasant to be around, even if they don't outright say anything about your accommodations. At the same time, most people only need minor accommodations, such as the ability to sit more often or to take an extra break, have an extra meal, etc... If this was all I needed, I don't see how any employer would take an issue with it- that's not going to affect my performance.

Now, let's say I was applying for a job at Wal-Mart, a call center, or some other job where people are a number and not a real person. I wouldn't disclose. They have enough employees that my 5 minute break is not getting noticed and mentioning it is probably going to cost me the job. To be blunt, those kinds of places are stepping-off points for people- they're not usually careers. So, my mindset would be totally different going into something like that.
      October 31, 2016 11:00 AM MDT

Hello B:

If your disability didn't effect your job performance, then it's none of their business.  You're there to tell them why they SHOULD hire you - not why they shouldn't..

excon

October 31, 2016 11:04 AM MDT