Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » You know the square crackers (American definition of cracker) about 2" square that have tiny holes in them and salt on the tops?

You know the square crackers (American definition of cracker) about 2" square that have tiny holes in them and salt on the tops?

What do you call those? 

Posted - August 14, 2021

Responses

Funny, eh?
      August 15, 2021 6:54 PM MDT

But I was wrong.  I've always heard that soda bread and soda crackers were unleavened.  Turns out modern commercial soda crackers have yeast in them along with soda.  Soda breads have no yeast (as far as I can tell); they rise because of the soda and baking powder in them. 

You were quick to even see my answer.  It was on here only seconds.  :)
      August 15, 2021 10:59 AM MDT

Soda cracker is the other term I've heard a number of people use. I like it! 
      August 15, 2021 10:40 AM MDT

My family and friends from back home all call them soda crackers.  I don't know if it's a southern thing, or just us.  :)
      August 15, 2021 11:01 AM MDT

I'm half-southern, but it's my northern grandmother I most remember calling them 'soda crackers'. She also kept them in a tin in her oven to keep them dry and crispy. I asked my mom why she didn't do that and she said "Because I would never remember to take them out when I preheat the oven and they'd burn up!". I'd be the same way, I'm sure! 
      August 15, 2021 11:08 AM MDT

Did your grandmother make the crackers herself?  My best friends mom baked crackers that were like saltines but she put black pepper in them.   So good.
      August 15, 2021 11:12 AM MDT

No, I don't think so. She made the most amazing noodles and pie crust, though. She was ACES all the way in my book. Smart, kind, patient and silly. I was incredibly blessed to have her! 
      August 15, 2021 11:19 AM MDT

I know those 2 inch squares that have salted tops and holes in them all too well because I put a  million of them in my bowls of soup. Anyway in most parts of Canada we call them crackers but in Montreal they call them La Crackers. Cheers!
      August 15, 2021 10:52 AM MDT

I think they hold up fairly well in soup. 

La Crackers makes me remember Le Car. That always struck me as funny! 

Cheers and happy Sunday! 
      August 15, 2021 10:57 AM MDT

I particularly like the little oyster crackers (very small saltines) for chili.  As kids we always opened them before eating.  They were hollow inside which was unbelievable to me as a little kid.  How did they do that?!?
      August 15, 2021 11:04 AM MDT

For some reason, I've never liked those much. Maybe because I associated them with oysters? 

I prefer croutons or melba rounds in soup because I think they definitely hold up the best. 

Soup sounds really good. I'm excited for autumn! :)
      August 15, 2021 11:14 AM MDT

What do you have against poor little oysters?
      August 15, 2021 11:17 AM MDT

Nothing now. I enjoyed them and other shellfish before I stopped eating animals.  As a child, I thought they were disgusting. 

August 15, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

In France, I think pets are known as le dog or le cat, lol!
      August 15, 2021 11:07 AM MDT

Le chien and le chat! 

:)
      August 15, 2021 11:16 AM MDT

Or chienne and chatte for females!
      August 15, 2021 11:20 AM MDT

I had to ask my son what 'dog' is in French, Stu. Give me a break! 

;)
      August 15, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

Just Google French to English and you'll see both male and female forms.
      August 15, 2021 11:30 AM MDT

I'm tired of Google. I don't need to know everything. 
      August 15, 2021 11:55 AM MDT

Oh, but you do. LOL.
      August 15, 2021 12:03 PM MDT

I don't and I don't even want to. Seriously!
      August 15, 2021 12:05 PM MDT

In Canada we call and package homogenized milk as Homo Milk. So in Montreal a carton of milk would say La Homo Milk. I remember the La car being a La piece of La crap. Cheers!
      August 15, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

Is there unhomogenized milk for sale also? I'm familiar with the term and vaguely what it means, but I don't understand abbreviating it like that. But maybe Canada isn't full of bigoted, homophobic a$$holes who would refuse to buy it or some such sh*t? LOL! 

I never rode in a Le Car, but I remember seeing a couple. Not terribly popular in the US, I think. The majority of people here still thought Detroit made superior cars and didn't want to support the "Frogs" or the "Japs" or any other foreign car companies. The majority of people where I grew up, at least.  You know, the ones who bought into the "America First" bs in 2016. 

There's something that no one has ever been able to explain to me... extraneous pride and egotism in something that you had absolutely zero control over; the country in which you happened to be born. I don't get it. I understand being thankful and grateful and appreciative, but I don't understand the pride. 
    To me, pride in general is something we've got to handle with care, lest it get out of hand and turn us into complete dic*heads. Not saying that we should never be proud of ourselves, congratulate ourselves, feel good about our accomplishments, etc. But I definitely can't understand being proud of something you didn't have anything to do with. Not to mention I absolutely don't understand being obnoxiously proud of being the descendants of people who committed atrocious crimes against humanity like genocide and the kidnapping, enslavement , torture, and continued abuse and oppression of entire groups of people! Really? 

Oops... got off track there, didn't I? I wonder how that happened (puff, puff, pass). 

Cheers! 
      August 15, 2021 11:54 AM MDT

You can buy un pasteurized  milk here. I think they packeged milk  as Homo milk long before it was used as a  word to describe people that were part of the gay comuninty. I was one of those people who figured that America built superior cars. I grew up in a  auto manufacturing town and when the new models came out we would watch them roll off the production line. Sometimes to give us a thrill they would rev one up and pop the front wheels off the ground - a La Car fresh off the production line could't do that. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at August 15, 2021 1:45 PM MDT
      August 15, 2021 12:27 PM MDT

• I live in the United States.  Those crackers are called "saltine crackers."

Some years ago I found a recipe and made saltines, which were very, very good. 

August 15, 2021 4:23 PM MDT