Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » TU SIMPLE is a self-driving truck company. Truck drivers average wage $45K/year. Takes 4 days to drive cross country. Self-driving trucks?

TU SIMPLE is a self-driving truck company. Truck drivers average wage $45K/year. Takes 4 days to drive cross country. Self-driving trucks?

Do it two days having to stop only to fuel up. Being a truck driver is where those without a college education can go, work and earn a good living. But they cost a lot more than no one at the wheel.

So far AMAZON and UPS have used them. Ever drive a freeway by the side of no one driving a truck? If not you will.

BRAVE NEW WORLD

Posted - August 17, 2021

Responses

I saw this on 60 Minutes Sunday. :)  On one hand, I'm horrified at the thought of traveling at high speeds on highways and turnpikes with driverless trucks (and cars), and on the other hand, I believe this may be the future of long-haul trucking.  I've seen car drivers make really stupid moves when they're next to a truck and this may turn out to be what makes regular drivers more cautious on the roads.  I guess time will tell.

August 17, 2021 8:46 AM MDT

It's already here and has been working on a very small scale. Wave of the future. You can't stop it. Now when you are being operated for brain cancer and a robot shows up that might be a bit skitsy. I shall ask. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 17, 2021 11:32 AM MDT

Robots ae already in the operating rooms!

"Robotic surgery, or robot-assisted surgery, allows doctors to perform many types of complex procedures with more precision, flexibility and control than is possible with conventional techniques. Robotic surgery is usually associated with minimally invasive surgery — procedures performed through tiny incisions."  Mar 26, 2021

About robotic surgery - Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org › about › pac-20394974

August 17, 2021 12:17 PM MDT

Who decides WHAT TO CUT? Robot or doc? Thank you for your reply L! I mean robot alone on its own no backjup human intervention.  Not doc-directed as it happens.
      August 18, 2021 12:49 PM MDT

The doc obviously.  The robot is able to have a steadier "hand" in some surgeries than a human might.
      August 18, 2021 2:34 PM MDT

Good ta know! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 21, 2021 11:18 AM MDT

I've never seen a self driving anything.  I thought they were only allowed on special roads that have communication for the vehicles. 
      August 17, 2021 9:21 AM MDT

I believe it was 60 minutes that ran a segment on it. It is the wave of the future apparently. Costs much less and you don't have to pay trucks benefits like health insurance or vacation pay.

Remember when autos were all made by human beings? Well it now extremely automatically robotic. I expect there will be glitches as there always are with new but we will get there. BRAVE NEW WORLD! Thank you for your reply. Did you GOOGLE TuSimple?
      August 17, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

I was a truck driver before I had kids, but if that happens and I want to go back to work, I’ll just have to find something else to do.

Anyway, self-driving trucks may turn out be the ultimate revenge on road rage drivers.  The human truck operator has to do everything possible to avoid an accident even if it’s not their fault.  If the road rage driver tries to teach the self-driving truck a lesson, the self-driving truck might just drag the crushed car with the driver inside of it along for the ride until tech support can make it pull over.

August 17, 2021 12:51 PM MDT

Road Rage savages should be exterminated! Those that murder because they got ticked off at someone who cut in front of them. MURDERED. EXECUTED. Sheesh. My next question is the local newspaper headline. We knew it was coming. I AM LIVID! I know. Calm down. What good does fury do? I'll ask that too! Thank you for your reply L!:)
      August 18, 2021 5:34 AM MDT

I hate road rage drivers.  The best way to deal with them is to calm down, go home, and watch road rage instant karma videos on YouTube.  Watching them get their just desserts always makes me feel better.

August 19, 2021 11:08 PM MDT

Well with gun folks any excuse to pull out the loaded weapon and FIRE at someone. Dinkheads I think. Thank you for your reply LIvvie and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      August 21, 2021 11:17 AM MDT