Discussion » Questions » Family » Food. Clothing. Candy. Toys. Bedroom. Bed.

Food. Clothing. Candy. Toys. Bedroom. Bed.

For those of you who have at least one sibling, what were some of the things that you had to share with her/him/them when you were growing up?

I have a brother who is 13 months my senior and another brother who is 13 months my junior, and my family was not wealthy, so hand-me-downs (clothes) were a way of life when we were younger. Additionally, we all three slept on the same bedroom and in the same bed when we were very little, I think up until I was 3 or 4 years old. After that, my older brother got his own bed, and I shared the other bed with my younger brother for about a year or two. I vaguely remember bunk beds after that, but I’ll have to call them and ask to be sure. My two sisters are respectively 4 years older than I am and 11 younger than I am, so they never had to share either clothing, beds, or bedrooms.
~

Posted - August 19, 2021

Responses

• I shared a bedroom with my older brother for 20 years.  
      August 19, 2021 4:05 PM MDT

We boys shared a bedroom. No hand-me-downs. We wore our clothes until they were unwearable. We had a small bed and a bunk bed and we rotated periodically.
      August 19, 2021 4:10 PM MDT

I "shared" a bedroom with my brother for 17 years.  When my sister rached "age", They built a new bedroom edition just so I could continue to "share" a bedroom with him (and he had BAD BO!!)

(My sister shared a bunk bed with my brother until he got so heavy he fell through)
      August 19, 2021 5:16 PM MDT

(edition addition)

August 20, 2021 9:28 AM MDT

Bedroom, clothes, toys. I was the eldest, but not the biggest. Younger siblings can expect to get hand-me-downs, it's particularly galling to get hand-me-UPs. Thankfully it didn't happen often, brothers one and two were rough on clothes so they wore most of them out rather than outgrowing them. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 20, 2021 9:27 AM MDT
      August 19, 2021 5:55 PM MDT

I remember one thing.  My sister and I had to share a soft drink while sitting in the back seat of a car.   She was very small so I let her drink first, not realizing she didn't know how to drink out of a bottle very well. She left a backwash of chips we had just before the drink.  Needless to say I allowed her the entire bottle. 
      August 20, 2021 7:59 AM MDT

We shared a bedroom and slept on army cots with a small metal frame a thin mattress and saggy springs. Our blanket was an army green blanket. I just remember the day when they were set up. 
      August 20, 2021 8:10 AM MDT