Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "My child care costs more than my mortgage". Can that be true? Is it true for you or anyone you know? How is that affordable?

"My child care costs more than my mortgage". Can that be true? Is it true for you or anyone you know? How is that affordable?

Posted - August 20, 2021

Responses

We already pay enough in taxes if the money were to be used properly and not spent carelessly.  A trillion dollars in Afghanistan would have gone pretty far in covering child care and we'd probably see more of a positive turn from it than what we are seeing now.
      August 20, 2021 2:22 PM MDT

That's easy to say now, but it's impossible because the past can't be changed. Might as well say the White Star Line shouldn't have built the Titanic because all that money sank with it in the ocean.
      August 20, 2021 2:51 PM MDT

That's just one example that should teach us how to better use the funds we have.  It isn't as though since then we've been so careful in how we spend money.  Time to take care of OUR country's needs.  "Nation building?"  Let's build this one first and when we've got that under control, we can worry about everything else.

EDIT:  By the way, the Titanic was a private venture.  It wasn't built with tax money. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 21, 2021 4:17 AM MDT
      August 20, 2021 5:42 PM MDT

My point about the Titanic was not about tax dollars, but about being unable to alter past decisions and events. As for learning, all politicians never have and never will agree on budget priorities, so it won't happen. They won't agree that it's up to government to subsidize child care. Count on it.
      August 20, 2021 6:10 PM MDT

Most people use Family or friends or teens to babysit.  It pays to live close to Grandma.  Or make friends with the neighbors.  Some parents work different shifts so someone can be home with the kids.  1 works nights (sleeps during school hours), the other works days. Then both parents are home during after school hours. 

But for most people paying for actual Nanny or adult baby sitter is not something they can do.  Who wants to work just so they can pay the babysitter?  

I have had my own business so my kids would just come with me to work. 
      August 20, 2021 12:10 PM MDT