Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What is your opinion of a politician whom you admire and respect having a change of mind on extremely important issues?

What is your opinion of a politician whom you admire and respect having a change of mind on extremely important issues?

As human beings, we change their minds all the time, politicians are no exception. Why can’t politicians in general (this is not about any particular person or party) be straightforward about experiencing reverse thinking on a serious and pertinent issue instead of burying it in subterfuge and double-talk that tries to disguise a perfectly normal human action? I have no expectation that any political figure should be superhuman, and I don’t see changing one’s mind as an automatic symbol of weakness.

Posted - August 23, 2021

Responses

A politician I admire and respect?  Now THAT'S an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Yes, politicians are human (although a few think they're higher than that).  However, politicians (in general) have but one objective - to get elected/reelected.  In order to do this, they must side with the most people they can ((lying, flip flopping, kissing ***, etc.).  If a majority of constituents change their mind on a certain issue, or if they want "change", a politician will flip flop to please them - ONLY because it is in their best interest to obtain their one objective.  This is a fact we all have come to know and expect.  (Unfortunately, there are many naive people who will take a politician at their word).  So when a politician flip-flops on an issue, most people know they didn't  really have a change of heart, rather they did it to "kowtow" to the most people.  If a politician were to have a real change of heart and that change went against most of their constituents, they probably wouldn't be able to achieve their one objective.
    Politicians lie.  They have to to get/keep their jobs.  Only a fool would believe them.  They are the proverbial "boy who cried wolf".

August 23, 2021 12:38 PM MDT

Everyone changes stance on issues with age, knowledge, etc.   A politician should be able to show his path of discovery to his new truth.  Otherwise, he should admit whose money helped him change his mind.  
      August 23, 2021 4:10 PM MDT