Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Which came first: the Afghani president fled the country, which in turn prompted the Afghani military to lay down their arms, or

Which came first: the Afghani president fled the country, which in turn prompted the Afghani military to lay down their arms, or

the Afghani military laid down their arms, which in turn prompted the Afghani president to flee the country?

“I no longer have any military to fight the Taliban, so I must go!”

“We no longer have a president, so there is no need to stay and fight the Taliban, we must go!”

Posted - August 26, 2021

Responses

I believe there were news reports of Afghan military laying down their arms and surrendering them to the Taliban before the president fled the country.  Once that happened, I suppose the military felt there was no point in fighting any longer.  From some accounts I've read from US soldiers who were sent there, the Afghan military really didn't have much desire to defend the country.  For most of them, it was probably a means of income more than national protection.  Most of them can't read, have no real skills, aren't terribly motivated to do much of anything, so how could they become a cohesive fighting force?  
      August 27, 2021 5:03 AM MDT

Some of them didn't lay down their arms either, they pointed the business end at their erstwhile "comrades". There are confirmed reports of former members of the Afghan military fighting WITH the Taliban. The system was riddled with "sleepers", Taliban infiltrators.
      August 27, 2021 6:11 AM MDT

I don't doubt it.  
      August 27, 2021 6:31 AM MDT

• The president fled second. 

The Afghan military had little to no loyalty to the president, who was weak and ineffectual overall. 

August 28, 2021 10:43 AM MDT

fled fleeing
    laid laying

And you carry a badge! Grrrrr.
      August 28, 2021 10:47 AM MDT

I wrote it in a different tense (or mood) than the one to which you allude. (Or alluded, depending on the tense or mood.) Reread it and I’ll bet you’ll see that it can go either way. 

~

August 28, 2021 8:33 PM MDT

Grrrrr.
      August 28, 2021 8:39 PM MDT

And with that, folks, my work here is done.
    ~

August 28, 2021 9:05 PM MDT