Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » When you bought a new appliance did you notice that it worked much better than the old one?

When you bought a new appliance did you notice that it worked much better than the old one?

New features, etc.

Posted - September 11, 2021

Responses

The only new appliances I purchased were a fridge and a stove.  The fridge replace one that was really old, so it is energy efficient and the stove is a gas stove which worked the same, but which was a little smaller so I was able to get a narrow storage cabinet in that area.
      September 11, 2021 1:10 PM MDT

That's not always true. My wife bought a coffee pot that only lasted 5 years. The newer toaster we have is junk. My stepdaughter is in the appliance business and she said major appliances are only made to last 5 years before something goes wrong.
      September 11, 2021 1:14 PM MDT

No!  Newer products do NOT work as well as the old ones.

I had a Jenn-Air stove for well over 10 years.  During that time only the computer pad went out and had to be replaced.   When It finally went to the old stove home in the sky, I shopped around for a new one.  Samsung topped the list.  I've only had it a few years and it's already falling apart.  (Note to all: do not buy a Samsung stove.)

I had a Sharp microwave (bought it back in 2000).  It finally burned up, so I bought a new one.  Since I had a good experience with a Sharp, I bought another Sharp the same size as the old one.  It has got to be the flimsiest P.O.S. I've ever seen.  The door is so light that it barely closes (like trying to close air).  The amount of effort required to close the door sends the appliance across the counter.  It overheats (if I wanted a heater I would have bought a heater).  The carousel has to be in an "exact" position or it refuses to work.  Finding that position is next to impossible!  (Note to all: Do not buy a Sharp microwave.) 

I had a washing machine that lasted nearly 20 years.  It finally died, so I bought a new LG washer (top of the line).  It worked fine until it was "recalled" 8 months after I bought it.  Their so-called "fix" ruined it.  It can't keep a balanced load.  Unless you happen to walk by and see it saying "Ue" (uneven load), it will continuously fill up with water and drain it out... and some of that water drains out on the floor.  

Shall I go on?
      September 11, 2021 1:20 PM MDT

Wait, no more Karaoke from you? NOOOOOOOOOOO!! The horror! The horror! The horror! The absolute horror! Grrrrrrr. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 11, 2021 10:12 PM MDT
      September 11, 2021 1:28 PM MDT

Karaoke. And it is not capitalized inside a sentence.
      September 11, 2021 4:09 PM MDT

Domo arigato, Sensai Sensei!
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 14, 2021 5:24 PM MDT
      September 11, 2021 8:23 PM MDT

The new sensors I bought to alert me when someone is escaping from the dungeon er, um, leaving the sub-basement sandwich factory without my permission has failed me twice now, prompting both a nasty and intrusive police investigation and the quest for twelve new “employees”. Cough, cough.

~

September 11, 2021 1:33 PM MDT

I had a GPS chip put under my skin so I can always be found.  I haven't gotten lost yet to test if it works. 
      September 11, 2021 2:29 PM MDT

I am getting old and senile, maybe I should get one for myself. I gotta do some research find out how it works.
      September 11, 2021 3:00 PM MDT

It stings a little when it goes in.  Phone reception improves immediately. 
      September 11, 2021 3:59 PM MDT

We all know where you are, so you can't get lost.
      September 11, 2021 4:07 PM MDT

Who is "we"?  I might get locked in Randy's basement and want to get out.  My restraining order against him has expired. You just never know...
      September 11, 2021 5:32 PM MDT

All of 'us'. Chip bad idea.
      September 11, 2021 8:01 PM MDT

“Locked in” is such a harsh term. We here at Randall Manor prefer the term “safely ensconced”. Shhhhhhh. 

~

September 11, 2021 10:08 PM MDT

• I recently bought a new stove to replace the stove that I've had for 35 years.  The new stove has a number of features that my old stove didn't have, but the new stove works about the same as my old stove. 
      September 11, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

Obama made sure that appliances in his era sucked.  Trump reversed the ridiculous regs and Biden has now reinstated the Obama bullchit.  Any appliance made before 2007 will be a better machine than what you can buy today. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 11, 2021 10:10 PM MDT
      September 11, 2021 7:55 PM MDT

Pray tell...when did presidents get in to the appliance business? What next will be politicized, my toothpaste?
      September 11, 2021 8:03 PM MDT

Well, the rationale that was given was to save water.  The dishwasher uses about four-6 gallons per load.  A good dishwasher will use 12-15 gallons at least.  So, with my present beautiful but crappy dishwasher, I have to run it twice to get the dishes clean and then do a separate 25 minute rinse to be sure the detergent residue isn't left on the dishes.   Therefore, I wash dishes by hand most of the time unless I cook something that uses lots of messy pots and dishes.  I usually have the dishes washed and the kitchen wiped down before we eat.

SO.........no water is saved and I use about 9 times as much electricity.  The 2007 and older machines have wash cycles of around 30 minutes.  My machine cycle takes 2 hours and 35 minutes.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 11, 2021 10:11 PM MDT
      September 11, 2021 8:18 PM MDT

The new ones I've bought all seem of reasonable quality. I don't know if they work "better" than the old - except in so far as the old ones had worn out of course. 

The microwave and washing-machine are a bit more complicated than the previous, but at least using the former does not call for a degree in electronics, and the washing-machine labels and instruction-manual are clear and explanatory.

Pros and cons?

The washing-machine's fine.

The µwave's Defrost function is about as arcane as it can be, even with the manual to hand. I avoid using it!
    On the other hand, the timer has a feature I have not noticed on any other: it continues after the cooking has stopped, and pings on the minutes so you can time the standing phase.  
      September 15, 2021 4:40 PM MDT