Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Are you already tired of the ads for the 'pumpkin pie spice' crap? What would you not use it for?

Are you already tired of the ads for the 'pumpkin pie spice' crap? What would you not use it for?

Posted - October 9, 2021

Responses

Just gross....all of it.
      October 9, 2021 11:44 AM MDT

I bought pumpkin and sweet potato dog treats, not the pumpkin spice ones. Oh, yes - they have them! 

October 9, 2021 7:16 PM MDT

Yummy.
      October 9, 2021 8:00 PM MDT

It's all about the Benjamin's.
      October 9, 2021 7:28 PM MDT

Excuse me, but that is a religious/ethnic slur. I assume you were not aware that it's offensive.
      October 14, 2021 2:05 PM MDT

It's all about the Benjamin's. - Benjamin is Benjamin Franklin, who is on the U.S. $100 bill. Thus, it means money.
      October 14, 2021 2:53 PM MDT

And it's used as an anti-Semitic slur to equate Jews with money, Benjamin being a name common to Jewish men and boys. If you didn't know that before, consider yourself informed. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 16, 2021 2:45 AM MDT
      October 14, 2021 3:19 PM MDT

Really? I absolutely did not know that and have never heard it used in that way that I'm aware of! I definitely don't think of "Benjamin" as a Jewish name, either! Very common where grew up and not a synagogue for probably 50 miles, maybe more. 

You really can learn things on Answermug! It's not really an expression I use, anyway. Won't be hard to not use it now, for me. 
      October 14, 2021 6:39 PM MDT

It was recently used by Ilhan Omar, a congresswoman from Michigan:

In 2012, she tweeted that Israel had “hypnotized” the world, which many thought bought into age-old anti-Semitic motifs. Omar disavowed the tweet last month, writing on Twitter, “It’s now apparent to me that I spent lots of energy putting my 2012 tweet in context and little energy in disavowing the anti-semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive.”

It seems like she’s disavowed her anti-Semitic statements. What’s the big deal?

Less than a month after that apology, controversy reignited on Twitter. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., called for “action” against her and her fellow Muslim congresswoman, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., while being vague on what “action” he wants to take.

Omar then retweeted journalist Glenn Greenwald, a frequent critic of Israel who shared an article about McCarthy, adding the comment, “It’s stunning how much time US political leaders spend defending a foreign nation even if it means attacking free speech rights of Americans.”

Omar wrote six words that would ignite debate: “It’s all about the Benjamins baby,” adding a music note emoji to the end of her tweet.

OK, this just could’ve been a reference to the Puff Daddy song “It’s All About The Benjamins.” Why is it so problematic?

Well, we are so glad you asked! Because that wasn’t the end of the Twitter drama.

The Forward’s opinion editor, Batya Ungar-Sargon, then quote-tweeted Omar’s “Benjamins” tweet, writing, “Would love to know who @IlhanMN thinks is paying American politicians to be pro-Israel, though I think I can guess. Bad form, Congresswoman. That’s the second anti-Semitic trope you’ve tweeted.”

Omar then quote tweeted Ungar-Sargon’s tweet (you still with us?), simply writing “AIPAC!”

And so the controversy began.

Wait. Why?!

AIPAC is the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the most influential pro-Israel lobbying group.

Many people began to call out Omar for repeating the anti-Semitic trope that Jews influence governments through money.

Dan Shapiro, former U.S. ambassador to Israel, tweeted: “@IlhanMN’s outrageous comments equating politicians’ support for Israel with being bought off by American Jewish money are a vile anti-Semitic trope. They need to be condemned by all in our party.”

Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called on Omar to apologize, as did the whole Democratic caucus. Even Chelsea Clinton chimed in.

October 14, 2021 6:56 PM MDT

I had to stop reading after "...end of the Twitter drama." I don't mess with Twitter and all that deliberately. 

I have thought it's quite strange that the same people who align themselves with white supremacists and racists also align themselves with Israel. Very odd, to me. I guess if it's between Islam and Judaism, Judaism wins? (**Not my belief!**). I'm just trying to figure these folks out! 

October 14, 2021 7:09 PM MDT

Israel is far from perfect in its conduct, and it has traditionally drawn strong support from the right, especially the religious right, in the US. I certainly don't support everything Israel does, but anti-Semitism is another matter. The money-related tropes of Jews using money to influence government, Jews controlling the banking system, and Jews being greedy and/or cheap have been around for hundreds of years if not longer, and have been used throughout history by tyrants like Hitler as justification for persecuting us. The most important reason for Israel to exist is as a safeguard against the occurrence of another event like the Holocaust. That's the reason I believe Israel must be unfailingly supported by the US and remain strong, even as I don't always approve of its behavior with regard to, for example, Palestinian civilians.
      October 14, 2021 7:48 PM MDT

You would think that out of all the nations in the world, Israel in particular would recognise a Nazi and revile him, rather than electing him. Scapegoatism is the trick Hitler used (and he didn't invent German anti-semitism, he simply made a tool of it - quite a lot of Martin Luther is abhorrent). Netanyahu is using the OTHER major Abrahamic religion in the region as his whipping boy in order to remain in power. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 15, 2021 5:44 PM MDT
      October 14, 2021 11:09 PM MDT

Indeed. As I said, I don't approve of everything Israel does, and some of it is horrible, but I am and always will be steadfast in my support of and belief in its importance and value.
      October 14, 2021 11:14 PM MDT

I am not anti-Israel, nor am I anti-Palestine. I don't like stereotypes and scapegoats.  I understand some of the history and I sincerely feel empathy for both sides of the conflict. No People are going to be pleased with having a very important part of their country taken from them. On the other hand, the Palestinians faired fared better than the American Indians did when the Europeans took their land from them,  didn't they? I understand the need for a safeguard. Unfortunately, so many people have the need to hate those different from themselves. Religion and Faith, something that I do believe is intended to help us be loving and compassionate with one another, is the total opposite for so many. It's a reason to judge and hate others. It divides instead of bringing together.  But if you look at the teachings of the major monotheistic religions, at the core, there's one lesson after another bout loving one another, having compassion. 

People always mess things up! 

All of that said, I do not understand how anyone interprets that "All about the Benjamins" is anything other than a reference to Benjamin Franklin - father of electricity and the face of the $100 bill. 

P.S. - I've known many Benjamins and none are Jewish. I've never thought of it as a Jewish name at all. I don't get that. Ben Stiller, I guess is Jewish? I don't think of people in terms of their religion or ethnicity or nationality. This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at October 15, 2021 10:24 PM MDT
      October 15, 2021 6:24 PM MDT

Palestinians faired fared better...

Ben Stiller is as Jewish as the day is long!
      October 15, 2021 7:35 PM MDT

But Jerry played a Catholic guy on "King of Queens", didn't he? 

LOL! 
      October 15, 2021 10:23 PM MDT

Maybe, but I'm not familiar with the show. Actually, Ben is probably not actually Jewish since Jerry married Ann Meara, who is Catholic. One must have a Jewish mother to be Jewish at birth.
      October 15, 2021 10:36 PM MDT

Okay, Ben Affleck isn't Jewish, right? 

Ben "the rapist" Roethlisberger? How about Ben Dover? 

Let's just remove Franklin from the $100 bill and be done with it.
      October 16, 2021 8:37 AM MDT

I didn't know it either, Stu.  I've never said all about the Benjamins but I assumed it meant what Zack said.  Thanks for speaking out on it.  :)
      October 16, 2021 2:47 AM MDT

No. All about the Benjamins is a stretch for the anti-Semantic claim.  
    It Means all about the MONEY...who is on the $100 bill (highest denomination) Benjamin Franklin. 

This post was edited by my2cents at October 16, 2021 11:08 AM MDT
      October 16, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

Please do not presume to tell a Jewish person what is or is not offensive to Jewish people. Thank you.
      October 16, 2021 10:49 AM MDT

People can be offended by whatever they want but that does not necessary change the meaning of a phrase. 
      October 16, 2021 10:59 AM MDT

And yet, sadly, there's no acknowledgement of understanding of your error now that it's been laid out for you. I thought you would do better.
      October 14, 2021 10:04 PM MDT

It's all about the Pentiums

October 14, 2021 9:53 PM MDT