Discussion » Questions » History » There are 9, 10 or 17 signs of qualifying for being a witch in 1692 Salem. Below is the list of 17. Are you a witch?

There are 9, 10 or 17 signs of qualifying for being a witch in 1692 Salem. Below is the list of 17. Are you a witch?

17 signs that you'd qualify as a witch in 1692 Salem

You're a female
You're poor, cannot support yourself financially
You are rich and financially independent
You have 1 or more female friends
You had an argument with 1 or more of  your female friends
You have had an argument or disagreement with someone
You are very old
You are very young
You are a mid-wife
You are married with too many children
You are married with too few or no children
You have exhibited stubborn or strange or forward behavior
You have a mole, birthmark or 3rd nipple
Butter or milk spoiled in your fridge
You have had sex out of wedlock
You have attempted to predict the identity of your future husband
You have broken virtually any rule in the Bible and thus entered into a pact with the devil

Posted - November 2, 2016

Responses

• Not sure the validity but I heard a few times that a women being thin was considered a sign of being a witch back in that time too.

November 2, 2016 6:04 AM MDT

• Any and everything could get you accused. 
      November 2, 2016 6:21 AM MDT

• Oh sure.  I've been led to believe being thin was considered a sign of being non-child bearing and it was considered  worldly and demonic for women to remain childless at the time. Also  that being barren was a sign that a woman fell from God's grace.
      November 2, 2016 6:39 AM MDT

• Sadly that makes sense for that time. I've read a lot on the trials and burnings,  iit was a very scary time to be alive in. 
      November 2, 2016 9:10 AM MDT

• I can put a check mark next to several of those. :)
      November 2, 2016 6:06 AM MDT

Me too! More than a few! Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Wednesday to you! :)
      November 2, 2016 11:31 AM MDT

• You're welcome and happy Wednesday to you too.  :)
      November 2, 2016 4:21 PM MDT

Thanks Karen and Happy Thursday! :)
      November 3, 2016 3:44 AM MDT

Oh for Christ's sake.   Most witches are pagan.  They worship the Goddess.  They do ritual in circles.  They pray for the same things you do. 

That is not a witch you listed.  That is a boogey man.

The Fellowship of Isis is a peaceful society that has members worldwide from all cultures, races and religions. It honors the good in all faiths and the Divine Feminine in all of Her forms. The Manifesto, written in 1976 when the Fellowship was first founded, provides its basic principles.

This site is dedicated to sharing and preserving information about the Fellowship of Isis as it originates from the central Foundation Center, headquartered in Ireland. It honors the legacy of the original founders as an authentic record of their work, as well as serving as an ongoing account of current news and events. You may read more in the FOI letters and announcements section.

The Fellowship of Isis is currently overseen by the late Olivia Robertson's successor and niece, Cressida Pryor. Cressida holds the role of overall Steward of the Fellowship of Isis. She writes of her ongoing work with the Circle of Brigid at the central Castle Temple:

"The ‘original’ FOI, based at and around the Foundation Centre is still strong, alive and vibrant;
    is holding festivals regularly and supporting priests and priestesses
    in their valuable work and also training new members for the priesthood.
    This core of the original FOI is here to serve the Goddess in all her aspects
    for the greater good of humanity and this beautiful planet
    as the founders originally envisaged." (1/15)

If you are unfamiliar with the Fellowship of Isis, please see the introduction and the section on the history of the FOI, which includes more details and photos on each of the FOI founders: Olivia, Lawrence and Pamela Durdin-Robertson. Be sure to visit the various galleries that include hundreds of pictures of Clonegal Castle's Temple, Olivia's online Goddess art, as well as listen to audio clips of Olivia and her brother, Lawrence Durdin-Robertson.

On this site you may always read for free the complete Fellowship of Isis Liturgy as was originally published by Cesara Publications, as well as other related materials, such as the spiritual autobiography of Olivia Robertson, The Call of Isis, and the perpetual calendar of the FOI: Juno Covella, written by Lawrence Durdin-Robertson, along with his other available works online. If you wish to purchase the writings of Olivia Robertson in book form, please see the online bookstore.

This site was first created in 1999 for the Fellowship of Isis Foundation Center in Ireland. It was maintained over the years with the full support and ongoing supervision of Olivia Robertson, until her passing in 2013. This has now been extended by her successor, Cressida Pryor, and the Durdin-Robertson family, to whom we give our sincere thanks. Olivia and the other two co-founders, her brother Lawrence Durdin-Robertson and his wife, Pamela, lived together at their ancestral home, Clonegal/Huntington Castle, which still remains the central Temple of the Fellowship of Isis. We will always be grateful for Olivia Robertson's past contributions and blessings, and we lovingly dedicate this website to her.

Begin your journey by following one of the menu links in the left-hand column, or review the latest uploads on our What's New page and then trust in Isis to guide your way . . .

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 2, 2016 4:22 PM MDT
      November 2, 2016 9:12 AM MDT

• She was talking about the witch trials in Salem.  That is totally different from being Wiccan. If you sneezed wrong they accused you and burned you. 
      November 2, 2016 4:24 PM MDT

You forgot the most telling sign: She weighs the same as a duck....;-D...

November 2, 2016 9:17 AM MDT

That was nowhere on the list of 9, 10 or 17 OS. Methinks thouest tryeth to fooleth me eth. It's not nice to try to fool an old lady. Mahalo for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thy.
      November 2, 2016 11:33 AM MDT

Thank you for whatever the he** it is that you provided here WW? Happy Wednesday. Am I supposed to know whom this person is?
      November 2, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

• So did I. I still watch it in reruns. :)
      November 2, 2016 4:25 PM MDT

• Same here... I always ace all the TV quizzes.  
      November 2, 2016 6:06 PM MDT

And your source for that "list" ? ? ?

And while your looking that up, again, find out how many people in Salem were actually convicted of practicing witchcraft and how they were convicted to begin with.
      November 2, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

• 200 accused and 20 exucuted.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 3, 2016 11:30 AM MDT
      November 2, 2016 4:29 PM MDT

Your numbers are a bit off. 19 were hanged with a total of 169 accused, including the condemned. That, according to the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/topics/salem-witch-trials

And all based on the word, the hysteria, of a small handful of bored teenage girls . . . 
      November 3, 2016 11:37 AM MDT

• They probably are. Here is the source I got the numbers from:
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a-brief-history-of-the-salem-witch-trials-175162489/?no-ist
      November 3, 2016 11:42 AM MDT

• I thought there was only 1 test.
      November 2, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

The sad part of this travesty is those accusing considered themselves christian, and quickly passed on judgment.
      November 8, 2016 8:56 PM MST