Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you believe if you brought a gun, you lose your right to self defense?

Do you believe if you brought a gun, you lose your right to self defense?

Posted - November 15, 2021

Responses

Did he use his AR-15 fight the fires?  Did he use his AR-15 to render medical aid?  Did any of the other rioters shoot and/or kill anyone or was he the only one?
      November 19, 2021 6:36 AM MST

No, he used it for self defense. 

Chased, shot fired from behind, rocks thrown at his head, kicked in the head, hit in the head more than once with a skateboard, had a glock handgun pointed at his head......self defense. 
      November 19, 2021 6:54 AM MST

Used it for "self-defense" which he wouldn't have had to do had he left when the crowd got out of hand as any intelligent person would have done if they weren't there loaded for bear in the first place.  Carrying an AR-15 doesn't make you a man.
      November 19, 2021 7:42 AM MST

There were many people out that night.  Some good people trying to help, some trying to record it and others trying to steal and destroy. 

Just because you disagree with someone's actions does not mean they are not allowed defend themselves. Or that others may then attack them. 

No, carrying an AR does not make you a man.  But it does make you able to defend yourself if needed. 
      November 19, 2021 10:50 AM MST

If he used some common sense and made a better decision, he wouldn't have been in a position of having to defend himself, if that is what he really did.  You can't point a weapon at someone and when they come after you, cry self-defense.
      November 19, 2021 11:51 AM MST

He did not point a weapon and then cry self defense.  If he did that it would not be self-defense.  
      November 19, 2021 1:32 PM MST

The point is moot - he got off.
      November 19, 2021 9:44 PM MST

If you're a responsible gun owner, you won't lose anything.
      November 16, 2021 7:39 AM MST

I can not see how you can ever lose the right to self defense. 
      November 16, 2021 7:49 AM MST

To anyone who thinks "Yes", I would ask: "Where is the dividing line, where I loose my right to defend myself with a firearm?"

I can't take it to a protest, because a riot is likely to break out?
    Then what about a sporting event, where there is a "non zero" chance of a riot?
    What about driving, where there is a "non zero" chance of being a victim of "road rage"?
    What about just in my yard?  What if I live in a "bad" neighborhood?
    What about taking it out of the safe in my own home, if I hear a noise?

All of those could be portrayed as "looking for trouble".
      November 16, 2021 7:55 AM MST

Thanks for asking this.  The discussions have been entertaining. 
      November 16, 2021 1:11 PM MST

Your welcome.  Trying to liven the place up. :)
      November 16, 2021 1:37 PM MST

• If you are brandishing it in people's faces and threatening people with it, I think you do lose your right to self-defense. You don't get to provoke an attack, then kill someone if they react.

I don't think that's what happened with Kyle Rittenhouse, however. 
      November 17, 2021 11:52 AM MST

Of course, because pointing a gun at someone for no reason is not self defense...that is being an agressor. 
      November 19, 2021 5:00 AM MST

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyle-rittenhouse-hero-no-callow-175623840.html

This is an article written by a journalist at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.  He makes the following, very pertinent observations:

"I cannot understand why anyone would think Kyle Rittenhouse is a hero.

He is no hero. He is a callow boy who didn't understand how to handle a gun — and worse, didn't understand the most important thing about owning a gun for protection: You do everything possible to make sure you never have to use it.

He should have stayed home.

What did this boy think would happen if he carried an AR-15-type rifle into the chaos that warm summer night?

With so little training or experience?

The police didn’t have good control of the streets when peaceful protests turned violent, and that opened the door to unprofessional, self-taught enforcers of the law.

Professional police officers know how to handle a weapon, and the best cops know how to de-escalate a tense situation — they know how to keep it from getting worse. A young vigilante knows none of these things.

We live in a society where guns have become a fetish for some people — where open carrying a weapon is a way to signal allegiance to your tribe. Where people with guns can cram into a statehouse in Michigan. Where gun-toting people who aren’t sworn officers can cram the streets in Kenosha.

And claim they are protecting the public.

It's an illusion. And it's dangerous."

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 20, 2021 8:36 PM MST
      November 19, 2021 9:18 AM MST

He is a callow boy who didn't understand how to handle a gun?????

He only shot the people who were attacking him.  He handled the gun perfectly.  Someone who did not know how would have just shot indiscriminately likely hitting bystanders.   Which he did not.  He shot only the people who were being violent towards him. 

Every fire they prevented....did protect the public.  They had every right to be out there...(Same right as actual protesters)  It is the rioters who should have stayed home. 
      November 19, 2021 10:44 AM MST

Who else in that crowd shot another person or persons?  
      November 19, 2021 11:52 AM MST

There were other shots fired that night.  No one else was hit with a bullet.

The verdict has come in the jury agrees it was self defense. Not guilty all counts. This post was edited by my2cents at November 19, 2021 1:30 PM MST
      November 19, 2021 1:27 PM MST

No.
      November 19, 2021 11:53 AM MST

Not usually - it would depend on far more circumstances than that tiny postulation allows.

But, from where I'm looking, it does seem insane for half a nation to defend a 17-year-old crossing state lines with a rifle and ending up killing two people. I know I wouldn't justify such behaviour from one of my very own children - never mind glorifying somebody else for it.
      December 8, 2021 9:26 AM MST

1. He did not cross state lines with a rifle.  (It was purchases by a friend in state)
    2. Have you watched any of the videos?  It clearly shows these  people attacking him.  Chasing him, throwing rocks, kicking him in the head, hitting him in the head with a skateboard, and the last guy pointed a handgun at his head. 
      December 8, 2021 1:59 PM MST

I won't defend the people doing those things, and I won't defend the kid who put himself in that situation with a weapon and escalated it. My point is that, had it been my child, I would severely reprimand him for getting involved in such a situation - even if no more had come of it. The only way the big picture of his actions (not his intentions) can come across as correct or even noble, is within an incredibly broken society.
      December 8, 2021 2:16 PM MST

He was there to defend people and property.  Which he did.  He help clean graffidi during the day. 
    He stopped people who we rolling a dumpster on fire to a gas station filled with people.  (How many lives did that save?)
    He stopped people from setting fires to the car lot he was at.

It is a shame that people had to do the police/National Guard's job....but that is the position the people of that area were put in by their Mayor and Governor.
    (Rittenhouse's Father and other family members lived in the town and he worked in the area as well) His Mom lived in IL. He was defending people and businesses he had known for years. 
      December 8, 2021 3:09 PM MST

Then at least I think we can agree on the "broken society" part. But I don't believe it's going to be fixed by glorifying violence of any kind. Imagine a black kid showing up with a rifle to an alt-right rally. Even if it were supposedly peaceful, I'm afraid it wouldn't be for long. 

And I do agree that law enforcement should have done much better. That's what started the whole mess to begin with. That, and every turning of a blind eye to their incompetence.
      December 9, 2021 11:00 AM MST