Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Man who drove over people at a Christmas parade released on $1000 bail 2 days earlier. Should bail reforms be returned to prior amounts?

Man who drove over people at a Christmas parade released on $1000 bail 2 days earlier. Should bail reforms be returned to prior amounts?

Perhaps this would have saved people yesterday at the Christmas Parade in WI. Darrell Edward Brooks Jr. the criminal who drove over people attending has a long record of resisting arrest, obstruction, battery, statutory sexual seduction, strangulation and suffocation, property destruction, illegal firearm possession, bail jumping, domestic violence, drug related charges and is a registered sex offender.

And was just released 2 days ago on $1000 bail. 

Most recent charges:

Resisting an Officer
BAIL JUMPING
2-degree Reckless endangerment
Disorderly Conduct
Battery
The bottom 3 relate to domestic abuse.

How does someone with this record get $1000 bail????

----
Just learned his above charges were from trying to DRIVE OVER his girlfriend on Nov 5th at a gas station.

Posted - November 22, 2021

Responses

Only in Wisconsin. Folks can get away with anything.
      November 22, 2021 11:30 AM MST

I know the horror of acquitting someone who was defending their life. 

But no not just WI...NY and CA have NO CASH bail.  Jail is a revolving door in these places.  Arrested and released the same day. 
      November 22, 2021 12:31 PM MST

New York has not eliminated all cash bail.  It has eliminated cash bail for most non-violent crimes.
      November 22, 2021 2:04 PM MST

The fact that they have eliminated any of it, is a travesty of justice. 
      November 22, 2021 2:10 PM MST

Then don't move to New York.
      November 22, 2021 3:48 PM MST

I have no intension of moving there or even visiting. This post was edited by my2cents at November 23, 2021 1:01 PM MST
      November 23, 2021 11:41 AM MST

8.5 million New Yorkers will continue to go about the daily lives. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 23, 2021 4:58 PM MST
      November 23, 2021 2:23 PM MST

It's because either the judges are "soft" on crime, or there isn't really any room to keep them in jail because of overcrowding.

A gal who had been illegally staying in my property went to jail ... due to drunk driving (and without license/insurance).
    She led the police on a high-speed chase, that ended with them having to deploy spike strips.

The judge let her out after 2 weeks - on her own recognizance.
    My thought was ... so, we're going to trust somebody who obviously has no respect for the lives/property of others or the law, to keep their word to show up for a hearing?  Ridiculous!
      November 22, 2021 12:28 PM MST

There has been a collective effort to remove cash bail system. 

Exactly, they have already proved themselves not to be trustworthy.  
      November 22, 2021 12:46 PM MST

You would think somebody would say: "Hey, if prisons are overcrowded, let's build more."
    But nope.
    Oregon built a brand-new, state-of-the-art prison a number of years ago ... and it sat, unused, until it was sold to be used as a warehouse by some large corporation.

Oregon said they couldn't afford to staff it.
    Maybe not, if it was housing Oregon inmates.
    But they had research showing they could have, if they brought prisoners from other states.

THIS is the reason that we DON'T rely on the police/government to protect us.
    They obviously don't WANT to.

November 22, 2021 1:12 PM MST

Yep and they do no HAVE to.   They can stand there and watch a crime and it is no problem.    Many times are even ordered to stand down and do nothing. 
      November 22, 2021 2:11 PM MST

Why was he bailed, period? Lose the key, or melt it in the lock.
      November 22, 2021 2:25 PM MST

We agree on something..... wow.
      November 22, 2021 2:57 PM MST

How does someone with this record get $1000 bail???? Some might say it's because the justice system is broken. But that's really not the case. It's worse.  The corruption of the justice system is increasing at an alarming rate. And, it's not being covered properly by the liberal media. In a corrupt system, the innocent are routinely punished, and the guilty often go unscathed.  This idiot Darrell Edward Brooks Jr. is but one prime example of the guilty getting away with crime/crimes unscathed. And, who pays, often dearly, for this corruption? The innocent. This is only my opinion of course.
      November 23, 2021 8:22 AM MST

Supposedly the state DOJ is going to investigate why the PA insisted on such a low amount and why the judge agreed.  I doubt anything comes of it. 
      November 23, 2021 11:43 AM MST

I agree. I also doubt anything will come of it. It will be a pleasant surprise if something does.
      November 23, 2021 1:56 PM MST