Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » While hauling a big load, when and who has to go to the weigh stations?

While hauling a big load, when and who has to go to the weigh stations?

Does commercial vs private driver matter?

Posted - December 1, 2021

Responses

Here in California, the weigh stations have their hours posted, and as for which tricks trucks have to go through them, I believe it’s determined by number of axles. All the weigh stations have signs leading up to them stating, “All Trucks Must Exit At The Weigh Station”. Those signs are covered up when the stations are closed. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 1, 2021 5:27 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 12:11 PM MST

CA expects me to do "tricks" when I go through a weight station? I am not that kind of working woman....
      December 1, 2021 1:59 PM MST

Edited. 

:|

December 1, 2021 5:17 PM MST

If it’s a truck that you need a commercial driver’s license to drive, you always need to stop.  For everybody else, it varies between states and provinces.  You can get the full guide from AAA or if you’re renting a truck, the rental company should have that information for the specific truck you’re renting.  Some states have electronic signs before the weigh station that tell individual vehicles if they need to stop or not. This post was edited by Livvie at December 1, 2021 5:27 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 1:28 PM MST

Ok. That is what I was thinking about it being commercial.  
    We picked up a load of concrete today from a new supplier and he was telling us: "We are overloaded and how to avoid the weigh stations."
    We have been hauling our own concrete for 25+ yrs and have never stopped at a weigh station. Of course, we are using just a 1-ton or a 3/4-ton truck and trailer. This post was edited by my2cents at December 1, 2021 5:17 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 2:05 PM MST

If you’re in Missouri, you’re not required to stop at the scales if your truck isn’t licensed for 18000 pounds or more.  If your truck and trailer are 3500 pounds put together, you can put 14500 pounds of concrete on the trailer.  Keep in mind, you can also get a ticket if the weight on the trailer is more than the maximum weight rating of your trailer or the tires.  However, if you’re under that but an officer suspects you’re overweight, he can always pull you over and require you to drive to the nearest weigh station just to check. This post was edited by Livvie at December 1, 2021 5:27 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 2:22 PM MST

Thank you. We should be good then. 
      December 1, 2021 2:55 PM MST

Also, I think Missouri puts the licensed weight of the truck at the bottom of its license plates.  If I were you, I would just take a look at your truck’s license plate just to be safe.  If there’s a smaller number below the license plate serial, that’s your weight limit.
      December 1, 2021 4:41 PM MST

It seems to me that driver guy is a little shady. Were I the person who hired him, after hearing him say that, I’d certainly put him on my “Never Again”  list.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 1, 2021 7:39 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 5:20 PM MST

It’s shady, but the shipper doesn’t have any legal responsibility for an overweight load if the driver accepts it.  An overweight ticket is entirely on the driver.
      December 1, 2021 5:56 PM MST

I’m referring to the driver bragging about how he could, would, or has avoided going through the weigh stations.

I’m referring to the person she mentioned was bragging about ways to avoid weigh stations.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at December 1, 2021 7:34 PM MST
      December 1, 2021 6:46 PM MST

I thought she was talking about a guy who was loading bags of concrete onto her own trailer saying that.
      December 1, 2021 6:51 PM MST

Now that I re-read it, I see that you are right. I don’t like to do repeat business with someone after I find out he or she is shifty like that. I especially don’t like it because people who brag about stuff like that might assume that they can confide in me because I am like them.

:(

December 1, 2021 6:55 PM MST

He was not my driver. We haul our own loads.  He was a worker helping load the trailer.

But yes, it did sound shady to me as well.  
      December 1, 2021 7:32 PM MST

It can vary from state to state, but in California -

ALL
    trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length must stop at weigh stations. 
    ALL moving trucks (eg. a U-haul)  must stop. 
    Any pickup with cab/crew cab with a box sized bed (hauling commercially) must stop.

Failure to do so will have the CHP on your tail right fast.  And while they have you, they WILL find "other" violations as well.   While I've seen a few pickups actually stop, many don't; and I haven't seen the CHP flying after them.  They mostly seem to target gross violators. 
      December 1, 2021 2:02 PM MST

Good to know I am not going to CA....Randy said I have to do tricks as well.  :)
      December 1, 2021 2:07 PM MST

Hey, wait . . . ! I’m a victim of soikumstanz!

~

December 1, 2021 5:24 PM MST

Soitenly!
      December 1, 2021 5:28 PM MST

California’s actually one of the easy states for weigh stations.  My husband has a small trucking company with four trucks.  We have PrePass in our trucks and California gives us a green light nearly 100% of the time so we don’t have to stop unless we’re carrying hazmat.  However, we only have one driver that likes going to California so he gets all of those loads.  He also makes more than the other drivers because of it.
      December 1, 2021 2:12 PM MST

Whenever I have passed weigh stations, they‘ve been closed. What’s up with that? Are they ever open?
      December 1, 2021 4:56 PM MST

New York State doesn’t have permanently staffed weigh stations so most of them won’t be open most of the time.  The state troopers that are specifically trained in weighing and inspecting trucks travel around and set up shop at random weigh stations or rest areas.
      December 1, 2021 6:02 PM MST