Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » I heard that the junk mail that is sent each year uses enough trees to provide firewood for a million homes for a year.

I heard that the junk mail that is sent each year uses enough trees to provide firewood for a million homes for a year.

Isn't that a waste of good firewood?

Posted - December 6, 2021

Responses

Junk mail is probably what keeps the Postal Service going.  Most people do email and pay their bills on line.
      December 6, 2021 11:36 AM MST

My main bills are auto-debit.
      December 6, 2021 11:42 AM MST

Many of mine are, too.
      December 6, 2021 3:37 PM MST

Now, isn't that so thoughtful of them to send out firewood out to everyone for free?  Especially considering the rising prices of heating oil and natural gas.  I find it quite comforting to know that St. Jude's Children's Hospital, the Salvation Army, and Defenders of the Wildlife will be making sure I stay warm this winter.  Why, even the Neptune Society is chipping in.

This post was edited by Shuhak at September 23, 2022 8:53 AM MDT
      December 6, 2021 12:25 PM MST

They should find some way to recycle plastic into junk mail.
      December 6, 2021 1:08 PM MST

The irony of organizations that send me junk mail begging for money because their costs are so high and the “needs” are so great, yet they use the most expensive, glossiest pamphlets of several pages and extra envelopes, etc. The worst offenders are the ones that also send me an exact identical email message and/or a text message, negating the need to send a paper one, all of which I ignore anyway. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

~

September 23, 2022 9:02 AM MDT