Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » In James (in the bible), It is said that God is against humans' passions and interests

In James (in the bible), It is said that God is against humans' passions and interests

I read a part yesterday, and it basically saying that God is against the wills of men , the way men pursues their heart and their own will thinking they do good but every men are wrong, no one is better . It is said that God hates when men follow their own passions instead of following the will of God.

Posted - December 17, 2021

Responses

This belongs in the statement section.
      December 17, 2021 10:42 AM MST

James is a powerful book.  James raises questions about our life as a christian and stresses the trying of our faith produces patience. I call it the refining fire.  It's hard to enjoy it while you are in it but the end product is worth every minute. How do you spend your money?  On yourself for selfish interests or do you use your money for good. He is reminding us to be doers of the word not hearers only.  To watch our tongue because of it's power, sow peace and not strife.  There are some great 'Do's," in this book. This post was edited by Honey Dew at December 18, 2021 6:47 AM MST
      December 17, 2021 11:13 AM MST

exact. thanks a lot
      February 18, 2022 4:14 PM MST

• I don't think that's quite what it says.

James 4:13-16 is admonition against thinking you have complete control over your life when it is God's will that will determine the course of your life. It's a call to humility. In the previous section, he warns about asking for things of God with the wrong motivation, i.e. greed. It is not saying you cannot have hobbies or passions. 
      December 17, 2021 2:47 PM MST

Yep.  We plan, God laughs.
      February 7, 2022 8:59 PM MST