Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Which do you like better, original or a capella cover?

Which do you like better, original or a capella cover?

Posted - December 26, 2021

Responses

The primal scream at the top of Revolution is something that Corey Taylor would have been proud of, it's metal af.
    Hendrix wasn't exactly metal either, he was shredding on an axe that was not much more than acoustic. The only effects he had were wah-wah and sustain, wringing sounds out of the instrument that shouldn't have been possible - but little distort (feedback isn't quite the same thing and was actually an unwanted side-effect, Norman Greenbaum tried to de-tune a valve amp in much the same way that Harrison did to "dirty" the sound but didn't get it right, hence the howl that marred Spirit in the Sky) and no overdrive. He was playing clean, like Eddie Van Halen used to which is why VH weren't technically metal either.
    The Kinks did precisely ONE metal song, All Day and All Of the Night, but didn't follow up, by the time they did Arthur they were almost a folk act, and Lola vs Powerman had some brilliant material but none of it metal. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 29, 2021 3:17 PM MST
      December 29, 2021 3:16 PM MST

Beatles are not and never were metal.  
    I did not say Hendrix etc were metal...I gave those as examples showing metal was coming with or without the 2 hard rock songs by the Beatles.

First metal group....was Black Sabbath.  
      December 29, 2021 3:32 PM MST

Of course they weren't a metal band. Neither were they rock, or psychedelic, or pop, they were ALL of these and more. They played a little rock. They invented pop. They invented psychedelia, Frank Zappa and Jefferson Airplane (among others) built on what the Beatles started but without the Fabs they'd have had no foundation to build on. And they played precisely two metal songs, and their immense popularity brought that genre into the mainstream. About the only genres they didn't do were disco and punk - the former was Motown, the latter they didn't do because they were better musicians than that. They left the three chord raucous to Iggy and the Stooges. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 30, 2021 2:26 AM MST
      December 30, 2021 12:30 AM MST

Again...I gave you plenty of artists that were already building the foundation  before the Beatles.   Metal was coming without them.

They did not invent it or pop music.  I will give them credit as the first boy band. 
      December 30, 2021 8:24 AM MST

The first boy band? That was the Ink Spots. More than a decade before the moptops from Liverpool.
      December 30, 2021 6:29 PM MST

Lol. They invented it as much as they did metal or pop. 
      December 30, 2021 7:31 PM MST

Beatles rule!
      December 27, 2021 4:27 PM MST