Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever at some time or another developed a good home remedy that is effective for certain ailments?

Have you ever at some time or another developed a good home remedy that is effective for certain ailments?

Posted - December 29, 2021

Responses

Have you ever at some time or another developed...

Just as with your earlier question where you ran out of characters, you can say the same thing without a bunch of extra, needless words.
      December 29, 2021 11:21 PM MST

That's kind of, like, you know my sort of writing style, not to be overly brief.
      December 29, 2021 11:26 PM MST

I realize that. But I am trying to help you realize that, while this is not an academic setting, there are small ways to improve that make a big difference. Consider the following:

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all sentences short, or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.

The above is a direct quote from and the gist of the gold standard of books on writing, "The Elements of Style." It has been popping into my mind as I have read your recent questions.

In your question, "at some time or another" and "that is effective" are unnecessary lines in your drawing and unnecessary parts in your machine - they are unnecessary words that add nothing to what you are saying and thus do not tell your reader anything.

"Have you ever developed a good home remedy for certain ailments?" is exactly the same question written much better and, more importantly, much easier for other people to read.

It might be improved even more by eliminating "for certain ailments," leaving simply, "Have you ever developed a good home remedy?"

See the thought process?

This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 30, 2021 8:39 AM MST
      December 30, 2021 5:46 AM MST

I didn't develop it, but...whatever works.

December 30, 2021 8:44 AM MST

Did you know that stubborn athlete's foot can be eliminated with a bottle of Clorox and a Q-tip?  It's not my remedy but the guys in my family found it to be the best and fasted absolute cure. 

Caution:  It burns like hell.

I am not suggesting you try this, particularly if  you are under 40 years old.

I do remember when we were kids and went to a privately-owned public swimming pool we had to walk through a shallow (7" deep) pool of water with bleach to get to the pool and to get back to the locker rooms.    It smelled to high heavens! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 30, 2021 5:32 PM MST
      December 30, 2021 5:31 PM MST