Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Did you ever take 4 of anything when you were only supposed to be allowed 2?

Did you ever take 4 of anything when you were only supposed to be allowed 2?

I didn't notice the little sign saying '2 items per customer' and I took 4. At checkout I had to pay a small fine because of my misdemeanor. But I got the number of items I wanted without having to make an extra trip.

Posted - January 18, 2022

Responses

I just point out that they allow {x} number of items per customer.
    Thus, if some customers don't buy the item, other customers are allowed purchase more - as long as the average per customer limit is not exceeded.
    OR, if I'm shopping with someone, I will say we are both customers even though only 1 of us is paying.

I have never seen anyone being charged a fine.
    Generally, the clerk just takes the excess items and reshelves them.
    Does the store have a sign stating you will be fined for the violation?  If not, they can't legally require you to pay such a fine.

What I find laughable, is when they say each customer is limited to so many packages.
    Example:Each customer can purchase 2 packages of TP.
    So - 1 customer can purchase 2 packages of 36 rolls of TP ... and later customers can only purchase 2 individually wrapped rolls.
    Meanwhile, the customer who purchased the 72 rolls is selling them outside the store.  LOL

January 18, 2022 2:06 PM MST

It's not actually a fine for taking more than the specified limit, you just have to pay the regular price like maybe $1.29 for each over limit item instead of the sale price of 1.00 each.. if they allow you to keep the over limit items.

Where I shop they always sell lemons 78¢ each if you purchase in groups of 3 or 98¢ each if you bust the group of 3. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 19, 2022 10:18 AM MST
      January 18, 2022 7:03 PM MST

It doesn't sound like something I would do or even considering doing.  I would ask for another. 
      January 18, 2022 3:31 PM MST

“Allowed” is such a restrictive and stuffy term. Here at Randolph Harems International, we prefer the term “allotted”.

~

January 18, 2022 6:06 PM MST

I once took two when I was only allowed one. I didn't see the sign and just gave one back. The only fine was embarrassment.
      January 19, 2022 10:21 AM MST