Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is it hypocritical for an airline passenger to claim wearing a mask violates his rights?

Is it hypocritical for an airline passenger to claim wearing a mask violates his rights?

This is after he has removed his shoes, allowed his bag to be examined, been photographed though his clothes and possibly patted down. He also accepts that he can't smoke in the airport or the plane to protect the health and comfort of other passengers.

Posted - January 27, 2022

Responses

I wouldn't say it's hypocritical so much as just plain stupid.  The airlines have all been rather thorough and successful in alerting the public as to their mask mandates.  For better or for worse, wearing a mask is now a requirement for domestic air travel so, if you feel as though this is a violation of some right(s) then you'd best commence to looking for another mode of travel.
      January 27, 2022 10:39 AM MST

It just seems that the same so-called rights were 'violated' long before they boarded the plane and no one protested.
      January 27, 2022 3:41 PM MST

They can claim whatever they want, doesn't make it so.  

Foe the life of me, I can't understand why we still have to take off our shoes.  Once, in the entire history of flight, someone had a shoe bomb (the hurt him more than anything else) and now EVERYONE has to take off their shoes.  Ridiculous.
      January 27, 2022 1:44 PM MST

And yet no one organized a protest. Boggles my mind at where people draw the line.
      January 27, 2022 3:38 PM MST

I agree.  
      January 27, 2022 9:21 PM MST

No. It would be hypocrisy if the passenger  claimed they should not have to wear a mask but then expected the crew or other passengers  to wear one. 
      January 27, 2022 3:55 PM MST

True. Hypocritical may be the wrong word for it. 
      January 27, 2022 5:16 PM MST

• It's incorrect.  The law requires passengers three years or older must wear a mask on the plane unless they're eating or drinking.  There's an exception for passengers with medical problems that make it unsafe for them to wear a mask.  They must have certification from a doctor.  If a passenger refuses to wear a mask, I first politely ask them to wear their mask.  If they refuse, I then try to persuade them.  If they still refuse, I inform them that I won't ask them to wear their mask again, but I'll tell the pilot who will ask the airport to call the police   The police will wait for the passenger when the plane lands, and the passenger won't be allowed to travel on the airline for five years.  I'm lenient with children.

All of the adult passengers I've had who refused to wear masks wanted to fight.  They've already decided when they left their house to go to the airport that they wanted to have a fight about wearing a mask.
      January 27, 2022 4:57 PM MST

Of course it's wrong, but I wonder why they are fine with all the pre-boarding indignities and then fight about the mask.
      January 27, 2022 5:14 PM MST

They’re on campaigns to be a pain, but they think that they are right and that they have a right. Grrrrrrr. 

~

January 27, 2022 6:17 PM MST

It's just dumb, like not getting vaccinated.
      January 27, 2022 5:20 PM MST

One difference in the mask vs the other requirements listed.  The others are one moment things....shoes off for a moment, image just a moment, bag examined etc.
    The mask is an ongoing inconvenience.  

The others serve a purpose as well. Masks do not.   They do not filter covid particles....the particles are smaller than the filter.  Yes N95 is better but those are not what is required.  A cloth one passes the regulation. 

Read the box...it says does prevent viral infections. 
      January 28, 2022 7:02 AM MST