Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Can "sexual misconduct" be eliminated from occupations where looks/sex appeal are a primary job requirement?

Can "sexual misconduct" be eliminated from occupations where looks/sex appeal are a primary job requirement?

In the wake of the allegations about Donald Trump's behavior around women, actress/hot 'n fancy babe Mila Kunis wrote an open letter about her experiences in Hollywood.

According to Kunis, she has been, "... insulted, sidelined, paid less, creatively ignored, and otherwise diminished based on my gender."

On the other hand, I don't believe Kunis was selected for the role in the bourbon commercial below because of her unparalled acting ability and vast knowledge of distilled spirits. She was chosen (primarily) because she is well-known and a smoking hot young woman.

So, can we have occupational roles where the primary qualification is being a desireable sex object, while still insisting that coworkers, supervisors, customers, etc. treat the people (mostly women) in those roles with the same respect we insist upon (both through social pressure and legal sanction) in other lines of work?

Posted - November 4, 2016

Responses

• That's a thinker.  Where to begin?
      November 4, 2016 9:38 AM MDT

I do not know the history of Mila but I wonder if she has worked any place in corporate america where being insulted and sidelined and paid less and ignored is absolutely normal and had nothing to do with gender. Such a complaint is one I have heard hundreds of times and made myself several times. People will try to say reason for the mistreatment is gender or race or boss likes someone else but the truth is that this is just the norm that everyone experiences because companies in general have poor management.
      November 4, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

If Mila Kunis is not happy with what she gets paid to act or the way she is treated within her "craft," she is free to pursue a neursurgical career where she may be treated more fairly.  Of course, one would hope that she would make a better neurosugeon than an actress.
      November 4, 2016 10:46 AM MDT
  • D&D

Mila is a smart cookie.
      November 4, 2016 11:13 AM MDT

• If I wad a brain surgeon I'd expect to be treated with a certain level of respect just because I'm a decent human being. ... plus extra on top because of my skill set .... If I was a prostitute I'd expect nothing less ....
      November 4, 2016 12:39 PM MDT