Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you ever really liked a song and then later heard the original form of the song? And now you like the original form much better?

Have you ever really liked a song and then later heard the original form of the song? And now you like the original form much better?

Two songs come to my mind for me :

"Say Something"                               A Great Big World    (without Christina Aguilera)

"Apologize"               One Republic    (without Timbaland)

Posted - February 9, 2022

Responses

Many, many times and the original will always be the best.
      February 9, 2022 9:05 PM MST

I tend to be that way, too.
    In both of the songs I listed in my answer, I thought the versions I first heard were the originals and I liked them (I still do). But then I heard these versions in the videos I posted - - and, like you said, I think the originals are much better.

And don't even get me started on having to put up with only hearing Jimmy Cliff singing "I Can See Clearly Now" on radio stations -- Johnny Nash wrote the song and his singing voice is pure gold to me, SO clear. Nash is the only man for me for that song. He has SO bettered my life -- I listened to his music endlessly after first hearing him at about the age of 11. And I haven't stopped listening.  :)
      February 9, 2022 9:14 PM MST

I am old enough that I listened to the originals before other artists re-made them. I have yet to find a re-make to be better than original.
      February 10, 2022 8:00 AM MST

I, for sure, get you on remakes. :)

And I'm thinking of rewording my question. Even though remakes/covers count for me for my question, like you and Zach addressed, in both of my examples, I found it interesting that both versions are by the same original artists - - I first hear Timbaland's  mix with original artists One Republic and then later heard One Republic without Timbaland.

And I first heard A Great Big World's version with Christina, and then later heard their original version that was just them -- it's way better to me, even though I like the version with her, too.
    :)

February 10, 2022 7:31 PM MST

How about absolutely anything by Bob Dylan? ALL of the covers sound better than the originals. A great songwriter and arguably the greatest lyricist in history, but he can't sing and never could.
      March 19, 2022 1:23 AM MDT

You are an opera trained singer and may not appreciate his (and other singer's) voice. I think it makes the songs more realistic. Who the heck could cover Dylan?
      March 21, 2022 10:24 AM MDT

Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower was so much better than the original that Bob stopped performing it, saying that Jimi had made it his own. Bob's voice is hardly heard with the Travelling Wilburys either, Orbison and Petty were the principal singers - but Bob wrote all of the song lyrics, with melodies by Harrison and Lynne.
      March 22, 2022 3:16 AM MDT

Definitely! I'm tired, so can't think right now. I'll come back to this. If I remember. 

I love the song "Good Life" by One Republic. 

February 10, 2022 8:02 PM MST

I like that song, too!
      March 21, 2022 7:58 PM MDT

Turns out I like the original "Turn the Beat Around" better than the Gloria Estefan version that I thought was the original until last year! 

There. I thought of something. :)
      February 11, 2022 6:56 PM MST

Thanks for answering -- will respond in more detail to your answers another time - - zonked -- ready to start eating a pizza as a VERY late dinner five hours too late. I  may just wander aimlessly around the site. 

I've always much preferred Vickie Sue Robinson's original - - though I like Gloria's version, too.

February 14, 2022 8:01 PM MST

Beast of Burden. I heard Bette Midler's before the Stones original. I prefer Mick, Keef, Charlie and Ronnie.
      March 19, 2022 1:26 AM MDT

I like both.  :)
    And The Rolling Stones is one of those groups for me that I like pretty much everything I hear.
      March 21, 2022 7:52 PM MDT

I love Bananarama's cover of the song "Venus" but Shocking Blue's original is leaps and bounds better!

March 19, 2022 6:13 AM MDT

I, too, love Bananarama's version. And I'm with you on Shocking Blue, though, too.  :)
      March 21, 2022 7:53 PM MDT

Back in the late 90s I heard the original reggae/ska version of Blondie's "Heart Of Glass"!  It blows the disco version out of the water... and I love the disco version ;)

March 19, 2022 6:20 AM MDT

Yes, this was my intent for my question, as I shared with Element 99 up there, too. Though I was unclear in my posted question, I was referring to different versions of a song by the original artist/group.  

And I've never heard this version you've posted of Heart of Glass!! I like this one better, too!!
      March 21, 2022 7:57 PM MDT

This version, I believe, is only available on Blondie's Platinum Collection which was released in the mid 1990s.  I was instantly drawn to its slow reggae rhythms and Harry's deadpan vocals.

You have very good taste too, btw!
      March 22, 2022 2:29 PM MDT

Thanks! :)

Yeah, there's something 'gritty' or something I like about this version. And I, too, like her singing style in this version.
      March 22, 2022 3:33 PM MDT