Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » I saw on the morning news that Russia is trying to recruit Syrian soldiers. Why would they do that?

I saw on the morning news that Russia is trying to recruit Syrian soldiers. Why would they do that?

Posted - March 7, 2022

Responses

1. Syrians have been fighting a civil war since March of 2011, ten years and eleven months.  Therefore, it offers scores of soldiers with current combat experience, combat skills, combat survivability, combat acclimatization, etc., which raw recruits who have never seen combat do not possess.

2. Russia took sides in Syria, sending its military personnel there to train Syrians and to take part in the conflict. As such, there is Syrian-Russian synergy that can be used in Ukraine.

3.  Ukraine is not a one-stop plan for Putin, it is one of many rungs on a ladder for him.

:(

March 7, 2022 12:21 PM MST

4. Putin is likely thinking that if Russia pulls out, while having Syria take over the fighting, the sanctions against Russia will be dropped.  Thus letting Russia finance the war once again.

5.  Word is spreading in Russia that they are the invaders.  Pulling Russian troops out while Syria takes over will allow Putin to continue the war without losing face at home.
      March 7, 2022 12:40 PM MST

Maybe they are doing it to escalate the war and turn it into a world war 3 thing - Putin be crazy so I wouldn't put it past him. Or it could be because they know they need help to defeat the Ukrainians.  Or maybe the Syrian soldiers are better urban war fair fighters so they need some tips - right now it is a urban war in the Ukraine. A couple of weeks ago I was thinking Russia wasn't going to invade the Ukraine but they did and things seem to be getting worse everyday. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 7, 2022 2:13 PM MST
      March 7, 2022 12:21 PM MST

because the guy is starting to lose partners ! 
      March 7, 2022 4:08 PM MST