Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Which do you think is more fearsome; a God that could destroy life on Earth with a flood or a man who could destroy life with a bomb?

Which do you think is more fearsome; a God that could destroy life on Earth with a flood or a man who could destroy life with a bomb?

Posted - March 9, 2022

Responses

Either way, we're all dead.
    But I'd rather be killed instantly with a bomb, than slowly drowning.
      March 9, 2022 1:27 PM MST

The man. If God did it, there would be a purpose.
      March 9, 2022 1:27 PM MST

I think the alleged god.  The man with the bomb can only end your life here on Earth however, it is alleged that a god can also issue one with eternal damnation after this Earthly existence.
      March 9, 2022 4:50 PM MST

I agree with E99 - but the flood as described in the Bible never happened.
    That there was a catastrophic flood in late prehistory in the Near East is practically undeniable, all extant texts from the region and even as far away as India mention it. It was probably the sudden inundation of the fertile valley that is now the Black Sea, that was the "whole world" the inhabitants knew. The tsunamis from that event would have lapped at Mt Ararat, so that fits too. Only the name of the protagonist changes - Noah, Sargon, Gilgamesh etc.
    Some guy puts Mom and the chickens on a barn door and floats outta there, and Chinese Whispers does the rest. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 10, 2022 8:21 AM MST
      March 10, 2022 12:58 AM MST