Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Did the migrating birds in your area make it home for the first day of Spring?

Did the migrating birds in your area make it home for the first day of Spring?

We have 60 species migrating birds around here and from what I have seen and read they have all made it home. Today I watched a Turkey vulture that was back from it's migration and it sure looked like he was glad to be back on the Rock (that's what the local yokels call Vancouver island). Cheers and happy first day of Spring!

Posted - March 20, 2022

Responses

The robins showed up about a month ago. The mass migration to Canada hasn't started yet.
      March 20, 2022 11:18 AM MDT

That is probably a short migration - I'm guesses it would be Southern Ontario. I used to like watching the monarch butterfly migration. Cheers and happy first day of Spring!
      March 20, 2022 11:35 AM MDT

Actually, we have a famous mass-migration route that passes overhead at one of our state parks. The birds come from all over. Folks come here from all over the country and bring lots of money with them.
      March 20, 2022 12:34 PM MDT

For the first time in awhile, numerous Steller’s Jays have returned (still as mean as ever).  It’s still too cold and windy for the hummingbirds to come back.  The sandhill cranes starred heading to Canada back in mid-February… just before our recording setting cold snap. 

March 20, 2022 2:25 PM MDT

Bob is still missing and we have sent out  a search party.
      March 21, 2022 6:54 PM MDT