Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Is your hometown nuke-worthy? In other words, does it have any strategic value that bad guys would lob a missle at it.

Is your hometown nuke-worthy? In other words, does it have any strategic value that bad guys would lob a missle at it.

Posted - March 28, 2022

Responses

My town is getting nuked by default from being so close to D.C.
      March 28, 2022 8:41 AM MDT

San Diego, California is a city with an extremely large military “footprint”; US Navy and US Marine Corps installations. Putin will most likely want to wipe it off the map as Job One of his assault on the United States.

:(

March 28, 2022 9:31 AM MDT

I just realized the inaccuracy of my answer: I was not born in San Diego. My hometown, while strategically vulnerable, is slightly less of a target than my current city of residence.
    ~

March 28, 2022 10:09 PM MDT

I would still considered SD your hometown, since that is where your home is.
      March 29, 2022 8:57 AM MDT

You may consider it all you like. To me, the word does not mean the place where I live now, if and when that place is not where I was born and/or where I was raised.
    ~

March 29, 2022 9:04 AM MDT

I refuse to call Cleveland my home town. Toledo is bad enough.
      March 30, 2022 8:33 AM MDT

When you were on active duty in the Navy, was every place you were stationed your hometown at the time you were there?
    ~

March 30, 2022 9:04 AM MDT

No, but I have lived in Toledo most of life.
      March 30, 2022 9:32 AM MDT

Then it appears that you’re contradicting your own position while at the same time reaffirming mine. The residence(s) that you maintained at various times and various locations throughout your life have not all been your hometown.
    ~

March 30, 2022 8:25 PM MDT

It depends on if they updated their target list after the Trojan Nuclear Plant was decommissioned and dismantled.

Of course, I'm also about halfway between Astoria, OR at the mouth of the Columbia River - and Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA.

As I've said in the past, if the birds fly I hope I'm close enough to die instantly.
      March 28, 2022 2:38 PM MDT

No not a nuclear target. Closest one is several hours away. 
      March 29, 2022 6:36 AM MDT

Maybe if the rumors about the Canadian Forces Maritime Experimental and Test Range are true. Rumor is 20 years ago the Canadian Forces recovered a crashed UFO and they hide it at the Nanoose Bay base. They have been working on it and figuring out how it works and it is probably fully functional by now. So maybe Putin heard the rumors and looks at it as a threat. We are also pretty close to Seattle and they are likely a target so we would probably get radiation poisoning. I haven't worried about going through a nuclear war since the 90s seems horrible that I have to start worrying about it again.  Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 31, 2022 5:57 PM MDT
      March 29, 2022 10:03 AM MDT

• My hometown is not nuke-worthy, but the city where I live is nuke-worthy. It's the national capital, the country's largest city and it has a military footprint.
      March 31, 2022 5:47 PM MDT

Both my native town and the one in which have lived for the past sixty-odd years are within only a few miles of potential targets.

My first place was less than ten miles from an important Royal Navy base. I live now a similar distance from a harbour that used to be RN but is now commercial, and not very far from Army training ranges, so still close to possible strategic targets. Of the nearest regional civil airports, the closest is only about forty miles away; as is a military one.

Those distances are uncomfortably low for a high-power nuclear weapon (I refuse to use that horrible slang word, 'nuke'), although it would need only some tens of kilotonnes power to destroy any such target.

However, even living many tens of miles from a possible target would be a bit academic in a full-scale nuclear war as envisaged in the Cold War era.  We might be unaffected by the explosions themselves but could be in the path of their direct radiation and radio-active fall-out, and all the utilities, trades and services upon which we all depend would likely be destroyed.

Someone elsewhere once showed me a photograph of a curious "housing estate" of little concrete bunkers spoiling a patch of the Dakota countryside. These have been built by "survivalists" as bolt-holes from any all-out war or other apocalypse they fear - but I don't suppose they have thought about what they might emerge into, and how they might continue to "survive" that!
      July 11, 2022 2:24 AM MDT