Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Are modern-day coffins made in such a way as to keep out even the tiniest insects and other organisms that normally feed on cadavers?

Are modern-day coffins made in such a way as to keep out even the tiniest insects and other organisms that normally feed on cadavers?

[~]

Posted - March 31, 2022

Responses

No.  The vaults keep out a lot but eventually they may fail too.  That begs the question of why purchase a vault.  The answer:  I recently found out that today buying a vault is not optional.  They are required in my home state for burial. 
      March 31, 2022 9:54 AM MDT

Many of the organisms that help decompose a body are already inside a person... all the person's life.  With the body no longer able to fend them off, they are free to do their job - recycle.

Vaults are used to keep the ground level.  In the old days, they heaped dirt in a mound over the corpse/coffin.  As the contents rotted, the ground would settle back to "normal" level.  These days,  we consider the mound tacky.  Plus, we use heavy equipment to dig graves.,  The vaults serve to  - (a) keep the surface tidy looking, (b) to keep heavy equipment from compacting the corpse/coffin as they roll over it, and (c) help protect the groundwater from "contaminant"s leaching in.

March 31, 2022 11:24 AM MDT

Honestly, I'd rather have something consume my remains immediately after death than rot slowly in the ground. 

Such a cheerful question! 
      March 31, 2022 6:56 PM MDT