Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Malizz
Spunky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Among homeowners* in general, what do you think are the most popular colors for the home’s exterior paint and/or exterior trim?

Among homeowners* in general, what do you think are the most popular colors for the home’s exterior paint and/or exterior trim?

*This is of course with the exception of those in housing developments where the color is chosen by the developer or by the homeowners’ association, or in other similar situations that prevent individual options. 
[~]

Posted - April 15, 2022

Responses

It depends on the location (city vs suburbs vs rural) and the climate (hot vs cold).  However, overall it's probably an off-white  (white reflects sunlight and rarely upsets neighbors, but pure white looks dirty).  The trim should be a much darker color (not black), like chocolate, or gray.

(I know for sure that the neon pink and black checkerboard house we had downtown was NOT popular).
      April 15, 2022 5:40 PM MDT

White unless you live in South Florida, then it is tangerine.  Oh my gosh, so many houses and buildings painted tangerine/terra cotta. 
      April 16, 2022 1:24 PM MDT

In my area, it is different shades of tan and white trim. 
      April 16, 2022 6:45 PM MDT

Grey. And more grey. Along with white and stainless-steel.

So it appears on too many new and refitted houses around here (my part of Southern England) now, where even attractive 1930s style homes are being larded with ugly faux-timber plastic planks the colour of warships. I have no idea where and why this fad originated, but the overall effect is very industrial.

One fad that does seem on the wane is for timber garden decking. One possible reason for the decline of this costly pretention, if that is happening, is that can be dangerously slippery when wet, despite the grooves routed into the surfaces. Another may be the amount of maintenance it needs to prevent the timber from rotting; and unless you have a trade account as a builder, farmer or similar, you cannot buy decent wood-preservative like creosote nowadays.
      May 2, 2022 4:49 PM MDT

In general as opposed to in particular? Let's ask Pete Seeger...
      May 2, 2022 4:57 PM MDT