Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why would an elected district attorney work harder for the interests of convicts and the accused than for victims and the law abiding?

Why would an elected district attorney work harder for the interests of convicts and the accused than for victims and the law abiding?

[~]

Posted - June 2, 2022

Responses

Getting paid by someone else.
      June 3, 2022 6:31 AM MDT

Ask one and let us know what you find out. 

June 3, 2022 1:25 PM MDT

In the case of one such district attorney who is permanently prominently featured in the news and current events in my state of California, everything he has stated after getting elected to office has been in more of the category of how defense attorneys and public defenders speak of their clients’ interests rather than prosecutors. While campaigning however he did not divulge that he planned to conduct himself more as a public defender than as a prosecutor, which has led to backlash from many of the constituents who state that they have been duped into electing a person who immediately upon taking office did a 180° turnaround on what is expected of a district attorney. It has gotten so bad that there are even allegations that what he’s doing in many of the cases is outright illegal. I would not need to ask him directly, because he has not only spoken widely on the subject, he’s also been challenged by people who disagree with his stance, so there is a plethora of information directly from him on the subject. The question I have posed here is not necessarily for him to answer, because he’s already been quite prolific in stating his positions. I am asking more for the opinions of average people on here as to why they think such a situation occurs. Lastly, this is not a unique situation, because there is more than one district attorney who advocates more for convicted criminals, the accused, etc. than they do for law-abiding citizens, victims, and survivors.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 18, 2022 7:48 PM MDT
      June 3, 2022 1:37 PM MDT

Check who funded their campaigns. Most will have someone in common.  
      June 3, 2022 3:48 PM MDT

permanently prominently 
      June 3, 2022 6:05 PM MDT

Oops, thanks!

~

June 3, 2022 6:27 PM MDT

You may be talking about the clown in LA, Gascon.  I think he may possibly be impeached, right?
      June 3, 2022 11:14 PM MDT

Recalled. 

~

June 3, 2022 11:40 PM MDT

To be more precise with my response to you, there is already a recall initiative in the works, I believe it is in the signature-gathering stage. (Gascon is the DA of Los Angeles County, I am in San Diego County, so I am not eligible to participate for or against his recall from office.)
    ~
      June 4, 2022 6:55 AM MDT

Twelve days after I posted this, Officer Michael Paredes and Officer Joseph Santana, both of the El Monte, CA Police Dept, were murdered on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 by a felon who illegally acquired a firearm and ambushed them, shooting both of them in their heads. The officers each leaves behind their wives and a total of five children between them. “District Attorney” (actually Public Defender of Criminals and First Advocate for rights of criminals) George Gascon paved the way for the convict to be released from custody by illegally implementing the most lenient policies imaginable to weaken laws and to either ensure fewer arrests take place, fewer charges are filed, fewer suspects are booked into custody, fewer prosecutions are sought, lessen jail time/prison time, or to outright release convicted felons. When I posted this, I had no idea such a tragedy would take place.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/15/california-cop-killer-justin-flores-received-slap-on-wrist-after-weapons-arrest/amp/

June 17, 2022 4:33 PM MDT

Maybe they're working undercover for The Innocence Project. 
      June 4, 2022 8:28 AM MDT

Twelve days after I posted this, Officer Michael Paredes and Officer Joseph Santana, both of the El Monte, CA Police Dept, were murdered on Tuesday, June 14, 2022 by a felon who illegally acquired a firearm and ambushed them, shooting both of them in their heads. The officers each leaves behind their wives and a total of five children between them. “District Attorney” (actually Public Defender of Criminals and First Advocate for rights of criminals) George Gascon paved the way for the convict to be released from custody by illegally implementing the most lenient policies imaginable to weaken laws and to either ensure fewer arrests take place, fewer charges are filed, fewer suspects are booked into custody, fewer prosecutions are sought, lessen jail time/prison time, or to outright release convicted felons. When I posted this, I had no idea such a tragedy would take place.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/15/california-cop-killer-justin-flores-received-slap-on-wrist-after-weapons-arrest/amp/

June 17, 2022 4:34 PM MDT

I would hope that you had no idea such a tragedy would take place! 

Seriously, though... that is tragic. Things are so ugly. I'm better off staying away from current events and news. 
      June 18, 2022 7:46 PM MDT

When I saw our question, the first thing I thought of was how could that possibly happen. I see now that it did happen in your area. I am still scratching my head; that would not happen here. Thank you for the explanation. This post was edited by Element 99 at June 17, 2022 5:07 PM MDT
      June 17, 2022 5:06 PM MDT