Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Does this surprize you about Bill Gates?

Does this surprize you about Bill Gates?

Bill Gates has pledge to give away virtually all of his money to his charity and it does not surprize me because I always though he was a cool guy. One of the things he said about it was - "I have an obligation to return my resources to society in ways that have the greatest impact for reducing suffering and improving lives. And I hope others in positions of great wealth and privilege will step up in this moment too.". Cheers!

Posted - July 17, 2022

Responses

No, this doesn't surprise me at all.  The fact that he and his former wife set up a foundation with billions of their dollars is an indication that he realizes that he has the ability to do great things to help humanity with money he would never be able to use in ten lifetimes.  I'm sure that he has taken care of his family financially so they are set forever, so he is giving away what is left over.  
      July 17, 2022 5:10 PM MDT

Yeah and their foundation was never shut down like the Trump Foundation for misconduct and the Gate's were never forced to pay $2 million for misusing charitable funds for their own gains. I might be naïve but I think a few other billionaires will take the Gates example and start being way more charitable.  Cheers!
      July 17, 2022 5:37 PM MDT

I'm sure there are other billionaires that do good things with their money, Michael Bloomberg and Warren Buffet come to mind.  At one time, Buffet wanted to start a foundation and decided that there was no point in re-inventing the wheel, so he decided to contribute that money to the Gates Foundation.  The difference between the two of them and Trump is that they aren't con artists and thieves.
      July 17, 2022 5:51 PM MDT

Is he going to give away all the farmland he has purchased? 
      July 18, 2022 9:27 AM MDT