Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Echooos
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why is the IRS spending $700k on ammunition?

Why is the IRS spending $700k on ammunition?

https://www.usaspending.gov/search/?hash=02ad71c630b0987fae6996bba9d980ff

Posted - August 5, 2022

Responses

Not sure if they did or they didn't because the only info I can find about it is what Matt Gaetz and Lauren Boeberts has to say about it. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 5, 2022 7:42 AM MDT

Follow the link it shows the spending. 
      August 5, 2022 10:29 AM MDT

Nothing on your link shows the IRS getting funding for ammo, but here, let me help you out and tell the whole story:

ADDED:

"Between March 1 and June 1, 2022, the criminal division of the IRS ordered $696,000 in ammunition, the IRS told VERIFY in an email.

The order was for the IRS Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) division, which is a federal law enforcement agency that conducts criminal investigations including tax violations, money laundering, cyber crimes, and organized crime involving drugs and gangs. There are more than 2,000 sworn special agents in the division. 

“Many of these cases are typically worked in conjunction with other state and federal law enforcement agencies. IRS-CI special agents have been carrying firearms throughout the more than 100-year history of the agency, and have found themselves dealing with some of the most dangerous criminals,” an IRS spokesperson told VERIFY."

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/government-verify/internal-revenue-service-did-buy-nearly-700k-in-ammunition/536-0ce9f538-a372-4c26-8013-1ab4e571578c

This post was edited by Spunky at August 5, 2022 10:19 AM MDT
      August 5, 2022 8:52 AM MDT

Someone did her research.
      August 5, 2022 9:03 AM MDT

Thank you.  I do not think the IRS should have armed special agents.  They can work with law enforcement agencies but should not have their own.

Postal service also has a law enforcement arm...I do not  think they should have armed employees, either.

The link does show that the IRS is buying ammo.

This post was edited by my2cents at August 5, 2022 10:34 AM MDT
      August 5, 2022 10:24 AM MDT

How much more responsibility do you want to lay on law enforcement?  They have their hands full already.  Maybe you'd like to do away with Border Patrol and let the National Guard take care of that problem or maybe we should let the Army take care of the job the ATF does or the Marines can handle the DEA.
      August 5, 2022 10:43 AM MDT

AFT, Border Patrol etc are law enforcement agencies...our military should not have to do their jobs.  Though lately the BP have not been allowed to do their jobs properly. At least Biden is building more wall in AZ. 

IRS is for taxes.  Postal service is mail....neither should have armed agents.     
      August 5, 2022 11:00 AM MDT

There could not possibly be enough local law enforcement for that task.  I have known two such IRS agents.  The IRS is larger than any of the three branches of government.  Keep paying attention.
      August 6, 2022 10:58 AM MDT

There are not enough law enforcement to execute warrants from the IRS? 

I know that agency has more guns than our Marines do...and still do not think it should be that way. 
      August 6, 2022 4:31 PM MDT

I guess you didn't notice this part which I highlighted for you:

IRS-CI special agents have been carrying firearms throughout the more than 100-year history of the agency, and have found themselves dealing with some of the most dangerous criminals,”

It the enforcement arm of the Internal Revenue Service and, as such, warrants agent to be armed.  Would you like them to go after dangerous criminals with pea shooters?  The Postal Service also deals with criminals, some of which are probably dangerous, which is why they are armed.

Sometimes I wonder if you think things through before you spout them.
      August 5, 2022 12:17 PM MDT

I do not care what they did 100 yrs ago.  We also rode around in horse and buggies back then as well.  But that does not mean we need the IRS to have a person hired to shoe horses today.

I expect them to turn the warrant over to the FBI or local law and let them go serve the warrant.   IRS and Postal do not need a criminal division.  Let law enforcement enforce the laws.  Waste of our tax money...paying more than one department to do the same job. 

The IRS, Postal Service,  Social Security Administration, Small Business Administration, and National Archives and Records Administration do not need and should not be allowed to be have armed agents.  It is ridiculous.
      August 5, 2022 2:28 PM MDT