Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Was the car malfunctioning? (see description)

Was the car malfunctioning? (see description)

I was driving at late evening hours.
A car coming toward me was going to turn left.
That car's turn signal was not blinking but the car's left headlight was blinking, in rhythm like the usual turn signal.

Is that a new update for some cars?
I found it really annoying and distracting to my driving my own car.

Posted - September 15, 2022

Responses

It seems that turn signals are an option that many people refuse to spring for when they buy a car, yet will show their displeasure to other drivers who did the same by displaying their driving dinger.  Some who did get this option like to show it off by leaving it on whenever they drive.
    A blinking headlight?   Well, at least it was halfway there.  Most people drive with either 1 headlamp (on bright) or no lights at all.
      September 15, 2022 6:20 PM MDT

:)
    :)

Yeah, I've seen the cars you describe, too.  :)

September 15, 2022 6:30 PM MDT

Weird. Does sound distracting. Surely that's a malfunction.  
      September 16, 2022 5:10 AM MDT

I also remember the light was  'signaling' in the 'regular rhythm' a turn signal would -- and it was a newer model car. 
      September 16, 2022 6:03 AM MDT

Since posting question, I've found out they are definitely MEANT to work this way.

From what I understand, they are LED headlights.

I spent 20 minutes just now searching for a gif or video showing the VERY-distracting-to-me turn signal.
    Picture this:
    You're driving at night.
    An approaching car has both headlights on.
    Suddenly, one of those car's headlights goes completely out and the yellow turn signal comes on -- and then, only the turn signal blinks on and off, signaling a turn. The headlight itself remains off. 

I find this very dangerously and suddenly distracting, as a driver who has to witness it. 

But it's legal. I've seen them a lot now. I wish I had a gif or video to show it.

And my other pet peeve - - completely black windows that other drivers can not see through.

I believe there are times when visually seeing the other driver in other vehicles is important for everyone's safety.  

Tesla Model S Black Out Window Trim with Plasti Dip - YouTube

I'll stop complaining. :)            Maybe

July 1, 2023 7:41 AM MDT