Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Is Science compatible with spirituality?

Is Science compatible with spirituality?

My input is that they feed each other, one is not possible without the other.

Posted - November 7, 2016

Responses

They're two approaches to truth. Science answers the question What? Spirituality Why?

They are compatible in that their methods differ.
      November 7, 2016 2:38 PM MST

• Thank you for your reply. Carl Sagan said about the same......
      November 7, 2016 2:45 PM MST

• I used to believe so and tried to fit them together.  As time passed I've came  the conclusion that the  answer is no.  Spirituality cannot even be defined and it relies on some level of supernatural belief.  Faith as opposed to reason. Spirituality is the antithesis of science.

Science and philosophy are compatible, but not science and spirituality IMHO. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 7, 2016 3:33 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 2:51 PM MST

• Thank you, Glis. 
      November 7, 2016 3:51 PM MST

Everything is compatible with spirituality.

Spirituality is connecting to source and truth.   Science attempts to prove things on a physical and logical plane of existence.  Spirituality encompasses this.  Spirituality goes beyond this and Spirituality proves that everything, including science is transient.  Science is key on this plane, but science can only take us so far.  Spirituality can take us all the way.
      November 7, 2016 3:07 PM MST

• Sharonna, you stated what I am thinking about it. English is a non-native language for me and sometimes I lack the appropreate words. So glad to have you around. I wonder how many scientists called or call themselves Spiritualists.
      November 7, 2016 3:29 PM MST

I read a few of your comments and I think we are sympatico for sure.

I'm curious now, White, what is your first language? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 7, 2016 3:44 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 3:32 PM MST

• We immigrated from Germany in 1984, when I was 49 years old. That is my first language. Living in the USA for 32 years now, most of the time we speak English, even at home. I like this language.
      November 7, 2016 3:46 PM MST

Thanks White.  I had a feeling you were not Afro American.  LOL
      November 7, 2016 3:48 PM MST

• If you want to kill time, you can study me via my website  http://karinbartsch.weebly.com  has about 20+ pages, all sort of stuff.....I think you would like it.
      November 7, 2016 3:57 PM MST

I will check it out and thank you.
      November 7, 2016 4:19 PM MST

Religion, I agree, is based on supernatural belief. At least, all the ones I've ever encountered with the possible exception of Buddhism. When the Buddha was asked about "God" or an afterlife, he did not assign much importance to the question - although he did not outright deny it. "Supernatural" is not against reason. It simply can't be proven, which is not the same thing as against reason. Much of science was deemed irrational (against reason) at one time.

Spirituality is not always about supernatural belief, although it often is. Again, it is not against reason. A better way of characterizing it would be "beyond" or "above" reason. From Aristotle to Einstein, the best thinkers have referred to "metaphysics" - a field of thought not amenable to reason in the way science (physics) is.

Science itself is now thought of as being "beyond reason". Causality is the bedrock of reason. In the quantum world, causality doesn't apply.   

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Shakespeare.

November 7, 2016 3:24 PM MST

• QnA sites are dependent on people willing to offer their opinion. It cannot get any better as this, Louie, thank you for your opinion. It is also mine.
      November 7, 2016 3:40 PM MST

• No, because scientists, engineers, web app developers, programmers, etc. see themselves as gods.
      November 7, 2016 3:27 PM MST

or, at least, the ones at Google do...;-D...

November 7, 2016 3:49 PM MST

•   Haha...... thanks for this fun!
      November 7, 2016 4:00 PM MST

I read a book recently about biochemistry.  It was written by Francis Collin who took over the Genome Project after James Watson.  The book discusses the findings of the Genome Project and is entitled The Language of God.  One chapter discusses the compatibility between science and spirituality.  If you're really interested, you might want to get a copy. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at November 7, 2016 8:19 PM MST
      November 7, 2016 5:31 PM MST

• Thanks, Call, I will ask for it the next time I hit the library. 
      November 7, 2016 8:21 PM MST

...Yes, They work together
    but science doesn't realize that 
    the spiritual side is within it all.
    ...Science is good for the physical understanding of the physical plane manifestations
    but it doesn't realize that the truth can only be realized through the Self,
    and that there is a Spiritual presence within all physical life.
    ...Within consciousness is the oneness, the supreme Truth,
    and can only be experienced through the Self.

November 7, 2016 5:44 PM MST

• Wonderfully said, Baba. You are a philosopher. I love reading about this all and thinking about it.
      November 7, 2016 8:26 PM MST

Good to see you again Whitehair.
    I do get in to this a bit on my blog "Meditation"
    here on this site. Take care, stay happy.
      November 8, 2016 7:39 AM MST

• Will surely look into it, Baba. Just saw your comment today.
      August 14, 2018 8:40 AM MDT

• I spent the morning hours today to study your Meditation Blog. Wow - it is pretty and wonderful and the words are very wise. It is the volume of a book!! I am a happy person, but lately I have to work on it.....wish you the best! Karin.
      August 14, 2018 9:57 AM MDT

The difficulty with trying to answer this question is that "spirituality" is such a vague and nebulous concept for which anyone who considers him or herself "spiritual" gives it an individual, personal meaning.

Spirituality is primarily an emotional response, and although religious people combine it with a belief in a supernatural deity, it does not seem to need such a belief in others.

Science seeks to explain what it finds observable and open to test - at a simple, everyday level if it were not for science we would not be able to discuss it like this - in fact we would not even have electricity supplies let alone telecommunications. It does not try to state all it suggests is true - it works by Hypothesis and Theory before establishing Law - this lack of certainty may be what drives some religious fundamentalists to regard their faiths' founders statements of belief, entirely True, and Science axiomatically but selectively False.

Humanity has for as long as can be established, an innate need for some sort of religious or spiritual support. Now, until historically quite recently that support helped give some sort of reason for existence and an attempt to explain how things exist, although if you examine a strongly-religious view on these you arrive at the rather uncomfortable thesis that the "reason" is merely some supernatural being's whim! 

Religion is no longer necessary to explain "how" because Science is attempting to unravel what really happens on a cosmic or local scale; but neither give any satisfactory "why". Indeed, questioning divine whim on the basis that there might be a deity to have a whim, leads to questioning why that deity might even "exist" in the first place. A riddle beyond all of theology, philosophy and science. Really, the only value in religion these days is in its second major role since (probably) Palaeolithic times, that of lessening the fear of death and comforting the bereaved, but then only among its believers. (Its third of three main roles was bolstering a social and moral code, but you do not need to be religious to be moral and well-behaved; and at the other end of the scale, some of the worst-behaved use their religion to excuse their actions.)

So where does that leave Spirituality? I think one convenient definition or explanation is an emotional need to place one's existence in the greater scheme of things - religion can do that but only if you believe in a god. I believe it to be entirely internal, and it may find expression in as many ways as there are people who believe themselves spiritual beings.

If so spirituality may manifest itself in any of many ways. For example:
       Being moved by a beautiful sunset, majestic wild animal or the processes and sights of astronomy, geology or biology. 
       In the deep satisfaction gained by creating a work of art of craft requiring great skill, patience etc to achieve.
       In the emotional reward of being moved to help others in distress.
       In finding peace in solitude or with like-minded companions, anywhere in the countryside - from a quiet hay-meadow to a great mountain-side.  
       In friendship, companionship, love even, in its widest sense!

Note that I include the three main Natural Sciences. One might even find one's own inner "spirit" not just in admiring the aesthetic beauty of the sunset, animal or mountain, but also in understanding the science in it.  

I'll finish with a tale that illustrates that perfectly; one I find deeply moving even though my interests in the natural sciences are as an amateur.

One night some years ago I happened to be admiring a star-rich Winter night-sky with some acquaintances, on the Mendip Hills in South-West England. The air was clear, with no moon and a goodly distance from street-lights shielded anyway by the hills. My companions said a year or so previously, they had been gazing at a similar scene with a young Canadian visitor. She stared at the sky for a long time then broke down in tears. Somewhat embarrassed, her hosts asked what was the matter. She explained that she was a professional astronomer but worked with a radio-telescope near a city with common fog and persistent light-pollution that usually blanked out the sky at night. So she spent her working day performing meticulous measurements and analyses of stellar radio signals, investigating mathematically their beautiful physics. This though, she had said, was the first time that she had seen the Milky Way - our and her subject stars' own galaxy - with her own eyes.  

Was this astronomer religious? I have no idea. Spiritual? I would count her response to that experience as "spiritual" for her.

November 12, 2016 5:14 PM MST