Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Besides humans, which species (either individually or as a whole) make a conscious decision to be omnivore, herbivore, or carnivore?

Besides humans, which species (either individually or as a whole) make a conscious decision to be omnivore, herbivore, or carnivore?

~

Posted - September 22, 2022

Responses

I don't think any other animals are capable of that level of thinking or consciousness. I don't think the variety of protein sources are available to animals other than humans.  I'm sure that many species could be conditioned to choose specific food items over others. 

That being said, both my dogs told me they want to be vegetarian. Telepathically. 

(That last sentence is false. My dogs are NOT vegetarian.)

September 22, 2022 7:31 PM MDT

Cats.  They could choose to be a carnivore, herbivore, or even an omnivore.  They simply choose not to choose (choosing interferes with sleeping time... and one has to have priorities).
      September 22, 2022 8:33 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . .
    ~

September 22, 2022 8:45 PM MDT

Do you really want to argue with a cat?  Might I suggest you wear a suit of armor to the debate?
      September 22, 2022 11:00 PM MDT

Cats don't have the dental or intestinal equipment to handle a vegetarian diet. It's why vegans can't keep them. Cats who are force fed a vegetarian diet firstly go blind (lack of taurine), then their coat goes dull and falls out in patches, they lose weight and have constant diarrhoea. Ask any vet (who has to euthanise cats whose owners are just that stupid on a daily basis).
      September 23, 2022 8:17 PM MDT

I only wrote what my cat told me to write (praise be to the mighty panther).
      September 23, 2022 10:09 PM MDT

I would imagine dogs prefer meat although I understand they can be fed chicken and fish.  There are also several fruits and veggies you can feed them.  My sister's two dogs love carrots and they love cheese.
      September 22, 2022 9:38 PM MDT

It's recommended to switch protein sources every few months. I'm going to try doing that, rather than sticking with salmon, even though it is an excellent protein for dogs and my dogs love it. One of my dogs has had some intestinal issues in the past, but I don't think it was due to a food sensitivity. Changing foods give me a little anxiety, but it is recommended, so I'm going to give it a try. 
    My dogs have steamed vegetables every day, usually broccoli and green beans. My little dog will snub her food dish if I've run out. 
      September 24, 2022 9:25 AM MDT

I haven't heard about switching out proteins periodically, but it can't hurt unless one of them causes an allergic reaction.  
      September 25, 2022 2:55 PM MDT

None.  Animals are born with dietary needs; they don't get to choose what they are.  Intelligence does allow some to alter diet to dismiss unliked foods, either taste/texture or just the fact of where/how it is grown or whether it has certain features such as ability to feel uncomfortable pain.   We see animals inhabiting parts of our country where they used to not be present at all.  We have a coyote problem in the southern states where we never had coyote at all up until 20 or so years ago.  My understanding is that the armadillo followed their favorite food source from the west to the east and the coyote followed its favorite dinner...armadillo.  So we now have both of them.    I guess the coyote and armadillo didn't want to change their diets....they were willing to follow them.  I'm no where near that loyal to any particular food.

Well, I did consider humans in my answer but am choosing not to change it.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 23, 2022 10:31 PM MDT
      September 23, 2022 4:56 PM MDT

Humans are the only species capable of making conscious decisions on diet. All other species are driven by need.
      September 23, 2022 8:13 PM MDT