Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever done the wrong thing in an emergency? I have a family member who always freezes in situations like that, . . .

Have you ever done the wrong thing in an emergency? I have a family member who always freezes in situations like that, . . .

. . . the epitome of a deer in the headlights.

Some probable examples of what I mean by “the wrong thing “:

Throwing water on a grease fire
Jumping into a rip current to save someone from drowning even though you are a non-swimmer
Taking a knife to a gunfight
Hiding under a bed or in a closet when a building is becoming fully engulfed with fire 

[~]

Posted - November 27, 2022

Responses

I did the wrong thing by actually thinking about situations in which I might have done the wrong thing in an emergency. 

You got me. 

November 27, 2022 7:02 PM MST

Basement had about 12 inches of water from a long period of downpouring rain, the most rain our area had seen in decades, I guess. Lots of flooding in entire city.

My basement electric dehumidifier was functioning as normal, set on the floor, in the water.

Thinking it could somehow spark or cause some sort of fire, I walked over in the water and, standing in the water, I then unplugged the humidifier.

And got royally shocked.

I felt it ALL over, whoa.

Duh -- 
      November 27, 2022 7:52 PM MST

Throwing dry soap on a kitchen fire, it burns.  While i was away one evening some kids broke into my home and had a party complete with a live band.  They put a turkey and a roast in the oven and turned on without anything to catch the grease.  After I came home and the police and everyone left I went to bed not knowing what was in my oven. I heard a noise in the kitchen and ran into the room the floor was covered in grease and on fire.  I slid through the flames in my bare feet.  Grabbed the soap and began trying to put to the fire.  Soap burns and smokes terribly.  The firemen finally put out the fire.  Don't use soap to put out a fire. 
      November 28, 2022 5:33 AM MST

I accidentally set a pan of wax on fire when I was a young teen. I took it outside and ran water on it with the hose. Whoosh...a tall flame was produced.
      November 28, 2022 7:24 AM MST

Scary
      November 28, 2022 8:38 AM MST